How do you defrost your windscreen?

Rubber edge on my ice scraper and never the hard plastic edge. If there is a lot of ice then rubber edge until most of it has gone, and then luke warm water if i'm home, or as long as it takes to defrost the windscreen with the demister on if i'm away.

Sometimes wish I had the Ford electric heated windscreen though when its really bad :love:

lukewarm tap water is good. Not out of the kettle and hot. I've got one of those heated front windscreen efforts - it works to a point but once you've noticed the wires they are an annoyance year in year out. Every bloody day

Yes i agree, sometimes my head just tunes into those wires and they just annoy the heck out of me, but most of the time I don't see them, Years ago we test drove a Range rover and it was the heated screen wires that put me off buying one, O yes and car dealer friends telling me not to as all BMW rangie's are crap

a guy at work used to park his car in a farm entrance, the farmer left a polite note asking him to park elsewhere, which he ignored, the following night his car was covered in solid frozen dung (muck spreader job), O how we laughed as we passed him trying to chisel it off his windscreen. Cold winter in the late 80's (when winters were winters blah blah blah........)

Switch on, heater and blowers on full, aircon on and rear demister on. Not needed wing mirror defogger yet.

Scrape down (annoying if you get fern leaves, they're had enough to shift with a hard scraper - forget the rubber end), then drive off.

I certainly don't leave the car whilst the engine is running.

What do you use to get the frost off your windscreen? I used a plastic scraper until I found that it was scratching the glass. I have a friend who uses a credit card but I dont want to stuff up my card cos I use it a lot.

Well this an old thread so m not sure anyone would be paying much attention to it.

But since m coming out of a rough spell in my ailment(MS), and m bedridden, what better way than to impart knowledge of my experiences.... or air my ignorance ;)

Now this is what i used to do, when in Montreal, Canada, where, with the Wind-Chill Factor, the temperatures would go down to -60 deg.s.

Every couple o days i would apply a thin coat of wax polish to the windscreen, thus effectively creating a barrier between the glass and the elements.

Then, when I came home at night I would take a salt shaker, and using normal iodized table-salt, would sprinkle it evenly over the wind-screen.

Now, as it is well known that salt inhibits the formation of ice, by lowering the freezing-point of water, this was effective to 4-5 deg.s. in the minus.

Next morning, I would just walk to my car, and turning the engine to heat it, would also turn the vents of the blower to defrost max heat and set it towards the windscreen.

By the time my engine temperature had reached operating levels there would be tiny streams running down the windscreen.

The wipers would do the rest.

Now ok so salt is corrosive and harmful to the paintwork.

So when I got onto the freeway, an clipping at moderately high speeds, i would wash it off, with the windshield washer amply.

Of course you would have to make sure you carry ample hot water in a separate container with you when you leave the house, just in case you run out or the water in the reservoir or it gets frozen over(mebbe add some salt in that too for the winter months... ;) )

Worked wonders, and never got a scratch on the glass, plus it saved me from the effort of using elbow grease when I least wanted to break a sweat... ;)

See if it helps?......

Picassoonwheels.

Last edited:
What do you use to get the frost off your windscreen? I used a plastic scraper until I found that it was scratching the glass. I have a friend who uses a credit card but I dont want to stuff up my card cos I use it a lot.

In the frozen tundra of Northern Wisconsin, some use a black plastic garbage bag. Inset under the wiper's, pull tight up and duct tape to the top of the windshield. Same principal as the Alaskan bush pilots use with frost covers on all control surfaces to keep them ice and frost free.