How do you deal with tailgaters

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
When people are driving right on your boot do you have a preferred method of dealing with them?

Depends on what else is going on around me.
If I can speed up a little to increase the gap I will.
I might flash my brakes at them.
If all else fails I go with the slow down until they get annoyed method :lol:

I sometime wish I had some way of letting drivers behind me know they are on camera (front and rear cameras ;) ). If they know they are being recorded driving like a twat they might stop.

If it's a car I use my dipped rear view mirror but it's difficult to ignore them.

If it's a truck I look for the first layby and let them pass. Better safe than sorry

Rear Ender.jpg

Having my rear camera hard wired today and the really dangerous ones will be reported along with video evidence to the local plod. They are like lemmings and don't seem to realise that as well as being dangerous they won't get to their destination any sooner.

The pic above graphically illustrates why I try to avoid becoming "the meat in the sandwich"

in bad cases if i can move over let them pass - lifes too short to be bothered by morons.

if all else fails flick on the lights and then accellerate . Usually tailgaters are just trying to impress and as this will give them impression that your car is a lot quicker than it is which will often stop the tailgating.

My Elan was, and will be in its new incarnation, fitted with a switch to flick the brake lights on so it looks like I am braking without the risk. This switch also allows me to turn them off when being folllowed my the police so I can slow down quickly without showing that I am :)

My Elan was, and will be in its new incarnation, fitted with a switch to flick the brake lights on so it looks like I am braking without the risk. This switch also allows me to turn them off when being folllowed my the police so I can slow down quickly without showing that I am :)

How sneaky is that? ;)

Legal? :confused:

Having my rear camera hard wired today and the really dangerous ones will be reported along with video evidence to the local plod. They are like lemmings and don't seem to realise that as well as being dangerous they won't get to their destination any sooner.
Do you think the police will do anything? They certainly don't do anything about all the drivers who appear on the Tube driving dangerously.

Well after watching a few Police Interceptor episodes based in Australia LM, they are more of a thundering nuisance than our own British force. Highly likely they will pop around to the naughty person and have a word or two.

Depends on what kind of day i'm having mostly. I either move if i'm not in any kind of hurry to get anywhere or on a long trip. If however there's plenty of clear road and i can see that they are a complete A-hole I just boot it to show them how feeble their attempt is. Always amusing.

My rally car had a switch that turned off the brake lights so a car following in dusty conditions couldn't see when i braked for corners or hazards

How sneaky is that? ;)

Very:lol:

Err no .V(

Do you think the police will do anything? They certainly don't do anything about all the drivers who appear on the Tube driving dangerously.

Are you sure or you just haven't heard ??

They will take action based on dash cam footage over here.|B

I like it. Will you have the flip over number plates as well! (or would that add too much weight ;) )

No, but only when I used it :)

Mind you, it saved me a fine in the 80s. A copper flagged me down in Eltham, I wasn't doing anything silly but the car wasn't quiet and looked a bit different and I guess he wanted something to do. He had a good look around, checking tyres, lights etc but couldn't find anything. However, he must have known about Elans because he then asked me to apply the handbrake as he wanted to test its efficiency! Now, Elan handbrakes were well known in the Lotus circles as only working on MOT day and for a few more afterwards - they were crap.

So I got in and made a show of pulling the lever hard. As he walked to the rear of the car I turned off the brake lights and stepped on the brake pedal. As much as he tried, to his surprise and chagrin the car handbrake was fine :)

The Elan was also fitted with a line lock so I could have used that instead :)