How do you apply your handbrake?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you just yank i tup on the ratchet or do you press the button and pull it on. Apparently in some Hondas you need to just yank it up on the ratchet otherwise it deson't engage properly. Have any of our Newer Civic owners experienced this? Sounds like a design flaw to me?

its bad for it but i yank it on without the button. i find that it holds better, as if your pushing the button i find it sometimes slips down a notch when you release it

If i'm thinking about it pull up with button pressed - or rush ratchet yank :bigsmile:

I always press in, pull till tight, let out then maybe pull it up on click to make sure.

Ditto :)

I tend to hold the button in, pull it up and then release the button before pulling it up a couple of clicks further

Sounds strange but I'm not really sure...I just do it! I know I was taught to press the button...I'd imagine that I press the button. I'll have to get back to you guys on this one! :lol:

yeah your taught to press the buuton. did it on the civic but the bora doesnt seem to want to not fully engage. think i need to tighten the cable a bit

I always press in, pull till tight, let out then maybe pull it up on click to make sure.

i do the same but i only pull it up a few clicks when im on a hill, its generally pretty solid anyway, oh and put it into first gear on a hill

Always push the button down 'cos I hate the ratchet noise. I usually over apply (force of habit from having cars that don't hold well) and as a result need a new cable every couple of years because it stretches beyond reasonable adjustment.

You sure its not all those handbrake turns you pull in the ASDA carpark on a Saturday night HDI :eek:

i yank it up on ratchet cus its only ment to go up 4 to 5 clicks over here, more clicks and it needs tightend. saying that my 406 goes all the way to the top and could be doing with a few more clicks and even at that itl not hold on the flat never mind a hill!!! 4 1/2 yrs of ownership and 3 complete handbrake systems later and its still no good. and for handbrake turns dont think about it, shell never lock the back wheels!!!

Button in then pull up! I do every now and then pull it up to see if it needs more than 4 clicks, if so then it is straight into the garage for an adjustment ;)

Button in first. Use just enough to hold the car, no more force is necessary.

Over applying it can really stretch the actuating cables.

I occasionallyapply parking brake at low speeds to clean up the linings and handbrake drums. Like many cars with disc brakes all round it's important to do this.

Button in first. Use just enough to hold the car, no more force is necessary.

Over applying it can really stretch the actuating cables.

I occasionallyapply parking brake at low speeds to clean up the linings and handbrake drums. Like many cars with disc brakes all round it's important to do this.

I havent heard of doing the above,they say every day is a school day!:)

I will do that now and then as skyline e brakes are a seperate drum incorated in the disc so dust etc will build up!, cheers bud!

On the Blazer, the handbrake cables seized due to not using them as I leave it in park :) I now use it occassionally just to keep them free.

On the Blazer, the handbrake cables seized due to not using them as I leave it in park :) I now use it occassionally just to keep them free.

Park position is not supposed to be a substitute for the parking brake. It's just a secondary means for keeping the car from running away down hill should the HB fail.

Park position is not supposed to be a substitute for the parking brake. It's just a secondary means for keeping the car from running away down hill should the HB fail.

Yes, I know, but it works fine and you get lazy :) If parked on a hill I do use it but as Essex is, mostly, pretty flat that is rare.

I have to press a stupid little foot brake pedal on the floor (damn mercedes weirdness)... so I can't avoid the clicking noise :(