How did you discover cars and car tuning

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How did you discover cars and really get interested in them?

How did you find out about car tuning and modification or what inspired you?

it all started back when i was 7 years old, my bros best mate lived in our street and owned an rs500 cosworth with full turbosystems touring car spec engine etc, i always used to drool over it every morning, then one day he took me for a spin and that was it i was a converted petrolhead :)

with my bro being 10 years older i had all sorts of motors turning up rs turbos/205 gti/uno turbo/r5 gt turbo/astra gte/cosworths you get the idea and i was fortunate enough to go in all of them

Good question, I guessed it started when a boy being bought Matchbox, Dinky and Corgi toys. My parents never drove so that was never a route in. My elder sisters had boyfriends who drove, one of which gave me a pretty big Lotus racecar as a gift. Not sure how I got into tuning but my second car was a Viva SL and one day I saw the coupe version and got hooked. The one I had was covered in Castrol stripes, it was a Firenza 2ltr and by pure chance realised it was based on a saloon racer. Then I got into tuning and modding from then on. That Firenza had a few mods done, press louvered bonnet, aluminium dashboard, custom gauges, half roll cage, bucket seats and I was only 20/21 at the time. Back when Ripspeed meant something!

My dad was an engineer and maintained his own cars, but wasn't into modding. However, the engineering is probably in the genes.

My first car was a 105E Anglia. Within a few months I got offered a 11970cc engine for it which we put in without any issues. The difference in power felt amazing, so I guess that was the eureka moment. It has gone downhill since then, still looking to repeat that feeling. The nearest I have got to that feeling was my first nitrous kit, fitted to the Elan back in the late 70s. It was amazing when it worked, but this was not often. Hopefully, the new engine will give me that feeling again.