Honda K20 Type R

Kaspa

Car
63 Lotus 23B
I have a 2008 k20 Type R engine in my little toy project and although 220 odd hp in a 500kg car sounds good 320 would sound so much better, so ive been thinking about putting a turbo on it just because i can, at present engine is stock with after market Skunk inlet manifold, a manual throttle body, and a good set of headers, so my question is what sort of max boost would you limit a stock engine to with 11-1 comp ratio.
cheers Kaspa

Hi and welcome to another banana bender.|B
It sounds like you want to build a missile so am guessing that it will be mainly a track car??
I would suggest you do some research as adding boost to an 11-1 CR would be dangerous as the internals = pistons and rods may not be up to the task and almost certainly need replacing with forged items.

Here is a chart that indicates how much more pressure is placed on the motor so you can see how much higher the "effective" CR increases when boost is added.

http://theblowershop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Effective_Compression.pdf

You may have heard about a car called a SKELTA that is / was built by Ray Vandersee and it is powered by an S2000 supercharged motor and it's expected to be at the Leyburn sprints next month so maybe you should have a chat with him for some first hand advise before deciding what type of forced induction would best suit your project.

PS I will be competing fot the 10th time in the "invited "class in an 85 Mitsubishi Starion so if you go come and have a chat with me and I will introduce you to Ray.:)

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/road-test/0905/skelta-g-force-sc-review

Last edited:
Well we took the little rocket to the dyno the other day and was rather disappointed in the outcome as apparently neither the VCT or the Vtec was working, so i have spent the last few days trying to sort it out with no luck so for,
update i have managed to get the VCT calibrating so thats a start, now to get the Vtec sorted, ECU is a Haltech 1500 Elite.
cheers John