History query

ALOVEW

Car
NA
Hi all, I'm just doing a bit of research about early minis and I have a couple of questions. If anyone has any info or suggestions of other places to look that would be great,

Here's my query...

What caused the dramatic rise in sales in the Mini mk1 between 1959 and early 1960s.? I have come across two sides of the argument - one is to do with 60s chic seeing the car as a fashion icon. This seems to be a mixture of organic changes in the public, but also some PR.

The other side is that the company used PR to appeal to families etc as a sensible car. This was partly due to the 'wizardry on wheels' campaign, with Tony Ball as a pivotal figure in this.

My question would be which was the largest influence? Any info or ideas for organisations, clubs, etc to ask would be really appreciated.

Many thanks!

I Think in 1959 the Mini got the working man onto four wheels at a reasonable price.
It got him off the motorcycle and sidecar and made family motoring affordable.
I Think the sixties chic came a bit later.

Just 10 years after this the car featured in the Italian Job movie again boosting sales.

I don't remember much before the 70's so I can't really comment on this myself. Women were starting to want a second family car for themselves and were established in the workplace so the mini provided the perfect solution, low cost, and compact and became an ICON for independence. I would focus on the Social aspects of the early 60's to find the answer to this question.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back