Hi there, real beginner here.

Best first car. By Brand

• Total voters

willww

Hey,
I am a true beginner when it comes to cars, but I learn quick! I'm about to get my first car soon and don't know what to get (Separate topic: http://www.torquecars.com/chat/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2107 please help me on this :p), after a lot of reading and asking, I've come up with a few cars that might be good?
Vauxhall Corsa - B or C
Are the opinions I've heard about these true? Vauxhall cars are the most 'breakdownable' cars, BUT are cheap to fix as they are made in the UK. Your opinion please :).
Volkswagon Golf or Polo
I prefer the looks of the Golf better, but they're quite expensive to buy for a relitavely new one, and I'm on a bit of a budget :(.
Fiat Punto or Stilo or Bravo
I quite like these for some reason, althought I don't really like the Punto where the back goes inwards.

I'm from Liverpool and 17 years old atm. I don't know where to go if I was to start getting into modding, anybody recommend any cheap places?
I know i'm asking a lot lol. But I'm a beginner! This is the first forum I've asked these questions in, hope I've picked the right one ;).
Please give any advice if you can.
Thanks!
Will.

Hi Will, welcome to the site.

I started my driving career in a Peugeot 205, a 1 litre, but having learned to drive in a Vauxhall Corsa 1.7D (not turbo, either) it felt fairly nippy and handled like a demon.

I've driven the Corsa C (the 1.2 SXi) as a pool car at work, and it gave a good impression, and we've got a mark 1 Punto 1.2 Sporting which is nice too. Touch wood we've had no problems with it so far.

The problem you're going to be facing is insurance - they'll wallop you pretty hard until your 21, so what I would say is go for something cheap, cheerful and reliable until then, something you'll have fun in but won't cost you a lot and then move up to something tasty when your a bit older and hopefully have some no claims bonus built up.

Shop around for insurance - get a couple of internet quotes from quotedetective.com on cars that you've got your eye on to get a feel of how much each costs to insure, then when you decide on one start phoning and trying to knock some cash off. Adrian Flux and Hyperformance are good for young drivers - I've used the latter myself back when I had hair.

I would also advise that you'll probably end up having so many minor dings in your first year of driving (bumping kerbs, clipping wing mirrors and such) that you don't want to get anything too new either.

I was reading an article a few months ago about the cheapest cars to insure in the UK and top of the list was a classic VW Beetle. If you can get one in alright condition, they're pretty cool in a sort of retro surfer dude stylee - get a sound system in and some smart wheels and you're away!

I hope this helps, but this is a good forum so if you need any more information everyone will be more than happy to help you out.

willww said:
Thanks for sharing your experience. I've never thought about looking online car insurance comparisons for yet. Thanks for that.

if your going to use search engines like money supermarket or go compare, make sure you fill in your date of birth 1 day younger than what you are. that way when you get the list of quotes go to the cheapest ones own web and fill in the details again with your proper birthday. this can knock quite a chunk off your quote as the comparison websites take a percentage so the company will charge you more.

i saved £60

cant agree more with ninja about shopping around when i got the 180 bora the post office underwriters wouldnt insure me on my current policy so would have to start a new one with another underwriter quoted over £1600 for a year told them id think about it spend half hour on the phone / Internet got this done to £680 phoned bell to confirm details and they got it down to £620 (see above why) . when i phoned the post office back to cancel the policy they said they would see if they could match it, came down to £1100 told then nowhere near

Its usually the insurance that dictates what your first car is going to be :cry: The older the better as far as isnurance goes. Diesels are also cheaper to insure than the petrol counterparts. Look for anomoalies in the groups.

Rover 220 GTi group 17 Rover 220 GSi group 15 (Same engine and same performance just without the GTi interior and bumpers - both cars still have a boot spoiler and share the same alloys!)

I'm literally just selling my old '98 Civic 1.4 - It was the biggest engine anyone in my year had when I was in 6th Form, its not *fast* but its nippy, and alot of fun. I'd definatly recommend a Honda to someone.

Welcome to the site (I say this like I'm some vet here...)

Izo Azlion said:
I'm literally just selling my old '98 Civic 1.4 - It was the biggest engine anyone in my year had when I was in 6th Form, its not *fast* but its nippy, and alot of fun. I'd definatly recommend a Honda to someone.

yeah not much goes wrong wi them ether mines was hammered for over 50k only 2 probs both eletrical. only downside to them was wasnt twin cam

pgarner said:
Izo Azlion said:

yeah not much goes wrong wi them ether mines was hammered for over 50k only 2 probs both eletrical. only downside to them was wasnt twin cam

Only issue with mine is a rattle at specific RPM (like 1200ish) - I believe its a plate underneath that typically comes loose?

Anyway - Great car, high revs, predictable in many situations and very cheap. Insurance is a bit of a sod.

yeah mine had that it was a bit of the heatshielding on the cat that had came loose

had it into 2 different garages and they couldnt find anything wrong it was only when i had it up on ramps when i put a new exhaust on that i found the problem 10 mins with an angle grinder sorted the bolts out and new ones on

pgarner said:
yeah mine had that it was a bit of the heatshielding on the cat that had came loose

had it into 2 different garages and they couldnt find anything wrong it was only when i had it up on ramps when i put a new exhaust on that i found the problem 10 mins with an angle grinder sorted the bolts out and new ones on

Ahh. If I was keeping it, I'd get it sorted. It sounds TERRIBLE, when you're sat at the lights.

Tbh, i'd like to keep it and rip everything out of it, and you know - go on somewhere Private and learn to drive properly with it, do a few track days. Or buy something cheap and more powerful, etc. The problem being, I've no idea where to start on that, and more so - racing cannot be cheap. Theres too many factors?

I'm going to miss those high redlines... New golf GT TDI sport is only like, 5000 limit :/

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back