Hi, I'm Josh...

joshbeckett

Car
x-type SE 2.0CDi
Hi, I'm Josh,
My car doesn't really define me, it's not a model I ever had aspirations to own, but it's comfortable, averagely quick, has room for my tools and was just about affordable.

I've never really been a car enthusiast, but since I was about 4 I couldn't wait to drive, and I have loved it ever since I could ... although I favour the open and empty) raod.

I currently drive a car that in my mind should never have been made - A deep metallic blue Jaguar X-Type SE estate. It just looks wrong. The first time I saw one that was my thought, and I stand by it (though the latest estate is a beauty). But I needed to buy a car (my '52 plate metallic grey Mazda 6 TS2 estate had just died) using limited resources and having a dark full leather interior (easy to keep clean), roof rails for my roof bars, and an estate sized boot since the car has to double as a family car and my work vehicle.

My biggest gripes with the Mazda (apart from the failed oil pump that seized the engine) -
Rusty rear wheel arches
And seizing brake calipers.
...But out of the cars I've owned it is my all time favourite - maybe even defining me ;o). I particularly miss the Bose sound system and the general outward appearance of the car.

The Jag seems reliable enough, perhaps even handling better than the Mazda, my biggest gripes -
It eats tires. Not just any tires, decent Michelin tires that I barely got 8000 miles out of!
It's not designed to carry much weight in the boot (almost understandable considering it's pedigree ;op )
And the climate control which, unlike the Mazda, allows the windows to steam up whenever the temperature drops below about 0 degC.

My plans ...
Well, I bought myself an OBDLink MX ... so that I can reset the warning light without paying £90 each time. (Somebody has blanked off the EGR valve at some point, which is throwing up a no EGR flow fault code). Apart from that I'm curious about maybe increasing the power and fitting some better discs and pads. I prefer to keep a low profile on the road, I like my rear wheels to follow a similar path to that of my front wheels, but I do like to do so quickly and in a car that is responsive to my control inputs.
If my house came with a garage, I might be tempted to tinker a little more...

Hello and a warm welcome from me the site admin, really good to have you along. That's quite an intro, I think you'll fit in just fine around here.

I hope you enjoy the forums as much as we do. Please get involved in our many discussions and topics, we love to hear peoples opinions and questions.

Thank you for the welcomes.

I have heard that I can permanently clear the fault code by drilling a 7-8mm hole in the blanking plate (not in situ, obviously). Or I could remove it altogether, but I don't know why it was fitted - it may have been to reduce smoking (the car's done about 170,000 miles).
What did you have in mind when you mentioned a 'simple' remap Andy? I like the idea of something that can be turned on and off or has modes. I also like the idea of things that are not dear, or that I can do myself... (and I know from experience that the two rarely go hand in hand).

Might be looking at this from a funny angle here, but I don't think you can just drill a 7-8mm hole in the blanking plate to rectify the fault buddy.
I might be wrong, but the blanking plate was put there to replace the valve, therefore the ECU is looking for the readings from the EGR valve so it cannot adjust the parameters for this as it cannot receive data from a hole.

I assume here again and no doubt young Andy will correct me if I am wrong; but by having the car remapped the ECU can be programmed to ignore the EGR readings thus removing the fault, plus you will gain additional power and the car will therefore be more fun to drive.

Yup ^^^^
Remap will cure the fault code keep coming up. Blanking the EGR off was never a great idea like removing DPFs, they were put there for a reason, not to pee people off as lots think. I've heard of fitting tin foil, drilling holes etc but reprogramming the ecu so it just doesn't look for that sensor is most effective and beneficial to you in long term.

Might be looking at this from a funny angle here, but I don't think you can just drill a 7-8mm hole in the blanking plate to rectify the fault buddy.
I might be wrong, but the blanking plate was put there to replace the valve, therefore the ECU is looking for the readings from the EGR valve so it cannot adjust the parameters for this as it cannot receive data from a hole.

I might also be wrong ... I was under the impression the EGR valve was still there and the plate had been fitted before/after it ... it's been a while since I looked, but I'll have to look again, and more closely this time... (one of the pitfalls of other people touching your stuff )

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back