Hi, from u.k

LJDTi

Car
Astra 1.7 DTi 115hp
Hi all, I'm LJ from the u.k.

I own a 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 DTi. It's running about 115bhp atm. So far I've done maf to turbo conversion, full egr delete, decat and stage 1.5 110bhp+ Remap.

Stumbled across this place looking for some answers. Which is what is the power limit on the standard clutch, injectors I know can goto about 145bhp.

Reason being is I've got a Hyundai 2.0 crdi 115bhp turbo to go on aswell as a gsi intercooler.

My tuner is going to do another Remap, I've got one to go on to take it to 125-130bhp but he's thinking about doing another to 140bhp, so need to know what power standard clutch can goto.

Hope you all can help me as much as I hope I can help others on here.

Cheers.

Hi. I know nothing about this car's clutch. However, you are planning to ask it to handle twice the power it was initially designed to cope with (if your car is the 75bhp version) so you will be very close to its maximum, if not exceeding it. If it manages to cope with the 140bhp it won't be able to do so for long. I would look for a better clutch whilst the car is off the road.

Hi, car isn't off the road it's my daily haha. I've heard 125bhp is the clutches limit, but thats a rule of thumb so surely a good quality aftermarket could maybe go a little more as in 130bhp perhaps?!

I've had the car 2 years September, it's been mapped for over half that time and clutch bite has barely moved at all, so hoping I have a good quality clutch in there.

so surely a good quality aftermarket could maybe go a little more as in 130bhp perhaps
An aftermarket clutch will be good for whatever the manufacturers say it is. Like with most things in life, you get what you pay for. A cheap clutch will fail if you push too much power through, a quality (read: expensive) clutch will take plenty of abuse :)

An aftermarket clutch will be good for whatever the manufacturers say it is. Like with most things in life, you get what you pay for. A cheap clutch will fail if you push too much power through, a quality (read: expensive) clutch will take plenty of abuse :)

Good advise IMO
A good clutch builder can increase the clamping pressure in a stock pressure plate to handle the increased torque due to the remap.

A sprung cushion button plate will handle more power/torque and if fine for a daily driver IMO.

FWIW I have a solid button in my car in the pic and have no difficulty when I drive in traffic occasionally.

Hello and a very warm welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin! Really nice to have you along.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

I don't have any experience with Vauxhalls tbh but in general I have found you can add 40-50bhp before needing to change out the stock clutch. Some newer clutches are built stronger for sports models but I'd suggest if you're wanting to keep going up and up that you perhaps see if you can't horseshoe something similar to a VXR clutch in. You shouldn't need to replace that then unless it's through simple wear and tear through age

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back