Hi all. Great to join in with what looks like a strong, useful and enjoyable group.

GlenShepherd

Car
LS400 UCF10
I just recently bought my first Lexus, which is also my first V8. I've loved the sound of V8's, flat OR crossplane, since I was about 8 years old. 30 or so years later...! My car is a 1993 LS400 in silver with black interior. It's very tidy and I think I may have 'struck gold'. I don't plan to do too much to it- it had been lowered with BCRacing coilovers two weeks before I bought it. Just a set of fairly subtle wheels and enough of a change to the exhaust to make it actually sound like a V8!
I want to achieve a bubbly, deep burble that stays quiet while escaping the driveway at 5am but then sounds like an annoyed Chewbacca when you want it to. Any exhaust system ideas more than welcomed by me. Thanks.

Only recently spoke to a chap with same model when he picked up some produce where I work part time. and it has 300,000 klm's on an unopened motor and no body rattles .
I'm sure there will be an exhaust system available that will give you the V8 sound you are wanting.

Thanks TCJ. Yes, I'm sure the system I'd want is available- just not sure how I choose the right sound without having it installed first!? 5zigen's 'fireball mega' sounds great on an LS but I don't really have that kind of money free at the moment -and I'm itching to get it sounding good asap. Think I'll start saving (and stop smoking)! Cheers.

Thanks TCJ. Yes, I'm sure the system I'd want is available- just not sure how I choose the right sound without having it installed first!?

Well if you choose the right custom exhaust builder who has years of experience, then the noise output is easier than you think.
Let him fire up the car and the two of you listen to the current noise output, then describe to him what it is you would like to hear. Be specific if you want a rumble and or howling, a nice burble or a rasping note and he should be able to select the components to pretty much achieve the desired effect. But remember this!!! the exhaust will be brand new and hopefully in stainless steel and as such the finished noise effect while you are standing in the workshop listening to your pride & joy will change. This happens after a couple of hundred miles or so once the inside of the pipes and boxes get coated in carbon from the exhaust fumes. So if the noise is too loud it will settle down after a while, so please don't ask the guy to change the box combination if while you are standing there you think it is too quiet until you have taken this in to account.

How can an exhaust be too quiet?? :D I have an idea, Glen: Go and borrow a 1985 Ford Sierra 2.3 GL Diesel for a week. Believe me you'll be begging to have the Lexus back, exhaust tone or otherwise!!

Hello and Welcome to Torque Cars.

Hello there and a very warm welcome to TorqueCars, it's great to have you along. Thanks for joining up I think you'll fit in just fine. Enjoy your time here.

I'm sure you'll find us very friendly and helpful, get involved in our many topics and threads and feel free to ask for tuning tips and solutions to problems in our technical and make and model forums. ;)

Hi and welcome to TC forums.
I was born n bred in Poole only left 10 years ago but only 30 miles up the road.
Talk to Mark in MBE autocare on Tower Park and see if he can help on the exhaust. Excellent guy with good recommendations from DMCC (Dorset Modified Car Club) members.

Just found out Mark can do your exhaust in house now as he has a full time fabricator working there now

https://m.facebook.com/mbeautocare
Thanks Andy. I'll go see him today to see what he says can be done. I've also just visited Neil at Read Performance (New Milton area) and he says to achieve a slightly louder sound, he can remove the last two silencers before the back-boxes and replace with S/S pipe for £150. Sound reasonable? I was expecting to be sold new back-boxes, pipes and probably more with a final bill of a lot more!

This your new exhaust Glen? Looking good and sounding even better so Mark says
FB_IMG_1436741247221_zpsl4ihswgj.jpg

Hi. It's got a faint rumble when you blip the throttle, covering 500 to 1000 rpm but it's still too quiet and polite. Lovely work done on the car though. The guys got it sorted quickly and neatly. I'll ask Mark and Leeroy (?!) to put some kind of back boxes next- that should do it!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back