Hhhmmmm Tempting....

Worth while or waste of time.

• Give it a go and see as nothing needs doing to the engine.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No point as there is not enough BHP gain.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BAD63R

Authorised Trader
Car
MG TF135
I've just been having a brouse of Club Calibra and have discoverd that Vauxhall donates there 2.5 and 3.0ltr engines to Saab and was used in a fair few models. Further to this I found that Saab dropped in a low pressure turbo on the 3.0 that can run without a waste gate and runs off only the front bank of the engine and you dont have to do a single thing to the engine to make it run right such as compression ratio lol.

The Turbo takes the 3.0 up to 250bhp so thats a 42bhp gain on a standard 3.0ltr block. So with mine now being around the 235-245bhp area I'm very tempted to have a go at it as I'm sure I could find a dead Saab to butcher pmsl and it would knock mine up to 270-280bhp.

What do you guys think?? Worth while mod for the money (around £350-450 to buy a sceond hand manifold, turbo and gaskets)????

It appeals to me as a Supercharger conversion which gives 265 bhp on a standard 3.0ltr block costs up to £3500-4000 for the conversion. The only trhing that would need to be sorted would be a custom made oil return pipe for the turbo as the Vauxhall version of the engine doesn't have one.

Let me know what you think guys.
Cheers BAD63R

It almost sounds too good to be true. Will it stand up to all the tweaking you have already done to the engine? Can your engine management handle it.

hmmm i really dont know what i wuld do if it was my money, and i was craving more power, all i say is to give it a go and see how it all turns out

The Motronic ECU used in the V6 is a learning computer and after approx. 150 milers it picks up on the different things added and they are good for up to 290-300bhp if remapped or chipped professionally. So I reckon after a trip[ to Courtenay Sport for a remap (£290) it would work out to be one of the cheapest Turbo conversion I think I've heard of lol, especially considering I would have more BHP than a 2.5 single turbo Skyline GT 33 Type M :D

Heres a shot of the turbo on one of the two, three branch manifolds.

saab%20low%20pressure%20turbo%2001.jpg

So if this was to be taken to the max you could fit one on either side of the engine :shock:

Rumours from Club Calibra say that there is a couple of guys that have done this and acheived 300bhp on a standard 208bhp 3.0ltr block and areas of over 360bhp when tuned and have compression lowered for a higher boost from the turbo's.

I'd deffo do it, but I'm very dubious as to how simple exaxtly this is...

Like you say, you would need an oil feed return for the turbo, and if you are right about the management, you might get away with a remap rather than standalone, but what about:

-Injectors (will the standard ones cope?)
-Spark plugs (surely you'd need ones for turbo applications)
-Intercooler (very wise if you are going for a turbo, even on a low boost application)
-Map sesnor (your map sensor probably wont be able to cope with the amount of air pressure in the inlet, and will give very odd signals to the ECU)
-Oil cooler (also very wise)
-Downpipe (you'd need one but probably easy if you've got the turbo and manifold)

Did the Saabs all use manifolds like the one above? Looks like a log manifold.. I'm sure all of the parts above could be sourced off a donor engine, but think about how the boost will run with your current mods.. Are you running STD or uprated cams, etc..

Standard 3.0ltr cams are bieng used are the same as the Saab V6 Turbo.

3.0ltr injectors are fines up to 300bhp as a long you use an uprated fuel pump and a 4bar FPR which I already have.

The Denso Iridium spark plugs I have bought recently are the same that are used in the Saab 3.0ltr V6 Turbo so no preobs there.

As mentioned, Saab uses the exact same engine for there Turbo'd 9-5, just threw on a turbo lol. Even the engine management is the same Motronic ECU in both 3.0ltr's.

Oil cooler and the standard i9ntercooler from a Calibra turbo is more than enough. And they are another bolt on as it's the same car just different engines of course.

The manifold and turbo shown above is the exact setup that goes onto the Vauxhall 3.0ltr. and apperently the oil feed and return is easy. There is a company in Germany that can make the right connections for this conversion. Good old Opel tuning companies lol.

Well I'm waiting to find a half written off Saab 9-5 lol. There is one for sale that is still running for £4000 on the Autotrader but I think I will source a spare parts company and get the manifold and turbo brand new. Too much risk involved when using a second hand turbo.

Hmmm, I wonder how much bhp of NOS the system would take pmsl. The standard 3.0ltr block is good for up to 100bhp jets without having to do anything to the engine. So I reckon I might fit this on 75bhp progressive to compliment the turbo.

Heres a couple of shots of my dust collecting "Toy". It's a 10lb bottle so it's one of the biggest bottles. But just a bit worried about it being from NOS. I heard from a few people that the solenoids can be a bit dodgy from that company so I'm in the process of finding out if I can use this bottle but with Wizards of Nos solenoids and wiring.

NOS%201.jpg

NOS%202.jpg

These were taken in my garage. So do you think this should go on a NOS kit with the Turbo or just have it as a Purge Kit???

Nos should always be functional first and decorative later. You'll be after need for speed underground coloured purge jets next :wink:

Pmsl, have you ever seen what that stuff does to your paint work :shock:

I'll proberbly just get a misting purge jet so it comes out in normal colour but would look like a jet of smoke.

WHY?! I'd stick it on my car, but if not, I'd get mashed on it and laugh my tit's off! Gawd, why would you vent it into the atmosphere?!

[grown up head]WARNING (NoS for cars contains a really nasty additive - I would only advice using Medical grade Nos for umm recreational purposes if thats how you get your kicks!)
[/grown up head]

WHat Waynne said. Medicinal Nitrous Oxide is very different to commercial Nitrous Oxide. The commercial stuff has all sorts put into it to prevent it from going stale as most gasses do, and the medicinal stuff is purified and is "clean".

Sorry Freddie mate. It's more fun when we get the wrong end of the stick! :lol: Half the time we do it on purpose!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back