Hey everyone! Setting up parallel Twin Turbos on a NA 3.8 V6.. Whos done it?!

VYTTV6

Car
VY Commodore S
Hey so as stated in the title, Im turbocharging my NA 3.8L L36 Ecotec V6 in my 5 speed manual 2004 VY Holden Commodore S.

Current mods are fairly weak.. Lowered, pod filter, 18" mags, modified exhaust.. decent stereo.....

I have however purchased: 2x TD05h-16G Mitsubishi turbos, 2x Tial 38mm external waste gates (8psi springs), Tial BOV, Autometer Boost and Oil guages, Gaskets, Flanges iv fabricated.. Lots of 3" exhaust pipe to build full straight exhaust.. many bends to build turbo manifolds....

Fairly serious about this build but i am very much an amateur, learning as i go. Am an apprentice fitter welder so have fabrication skills, its the mechanics side i need to polish up!

I know i will need to upgrade to at least 550cc injectors, anyone know what size fuel pump would be required for this? And any information to do with MAF sensors on intake side or any sensors i should be doing on the exhaust manifolds would be great.. very hard to decipher all the contradictory information on the web...

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!

Good luck buddy! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fitting turbos to an na car isnt simple. It isnt a plug and play upgrade.

First the engine may not take the extra heat and stress. You will probably need to lower the compression ratio and then theres the fueling and ecu to sort. If it isnt all done riht likely as not it wont ever produce decent results.
Apart from the fuelimg you will need a decent ecu or things will go nowhere.

Im not sure why you want twin turbos when there are really good twin schroll schroll single turbgo set ups available now . Twins will be so much more difficult to set up especially if you are fabricating the pipework as I presume they would be coming in together
However good luck but it is wor th mentioning that for every ten posts about turboing an na car one at most one actually sees the light of day as a properly tuned on road car.

Thanks for your comment, i have looked into it enough to know its a reasonably achievable build, and has been done to this engine before. Running low boost the standard compression is safe. The standard ECU for my VY is sufficient for a decent remap and tune on a dyno, i have spoken to a tuning company keen to sort it out.

As i mentioned, for fuel ill require a 550CC injector upgrade and have just found out today, an after market 250lpm fuel pump is ideal for this.

As for the twin turbo over single, "engine bay #!#!#!#!" :love: im a sucker for a polished up good looking engine bay, and this build is all about the BUILD not chasing massive power, am passionate about fabrication and the challenge of the duel manifolds, dumps and exhaust is going to be great fun!

And for your last comment, maby so, this is that one in ten, $4500 spent so far on parts and countless hours researching, no backing out mate, this is all i think about.

im all for a nicely sorted engine bay with polished pipes etc. - in fact im often told I am obssesed with mine

And i do run a twin turbo motor myself . The only thing stopping me from going single is the cost (a lot more than £4500$ more like £4500 )

Im happy that your are "the one in ten " after someone has to be.

Stroked rb28dett gtr right? Not stalking you.. seen you post on someone elses thread lol Safe to say im jealous!! gtrs are such an iconic car series and always will be.

If i had an inline 6 like an rb id be single turboing it.. but with a V configuration like mine twins was to tempting.. 2 cylinder banks.. why not two turbos? 2 nice anodized blue tial wastegates.. 2 identical manifolds.. ect. Keep it symmetrical.

And thats 4500 spent SO FAR... quoted 1500 just for dyno tune (including secondary, after run in) and still got to buy intercooler+pipe work, injectors, fuel pump, high ratio roller rockers, braided oil feed and return lines for turbos.... think thats it... :amuse:

Hello and may I wish you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars, nice to have you along.

Sorry for my delay in replying to you, we've totally revamped the site, and I'm sure you'll agree it's 1000 time better than before, much faster and easier to use.

I hope you enjoy your time with us, you'll fit in just fine if you are crazy about cars and tuning them.

Please get involved in our many interesting discussions and debates.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back