HELP WITH LOCKING WHEEL NUTS

pgarner

TC ModFather
Car
Octy smoke machine
Well today i fitted the alloys off the Old Audi TT ( only 6 wks old the guy didnt like them just had to get tyres for them £££££) to the bora to see what they were like and felt on the run.

The locking nut for the VW is a very simple thing more or less like a torx bolt just with more pins, now thinking that anybody with a vw (and prob audi skoda seat etc) would be able to remove them i decided to get a proper set from Halfords when i was in carlise and use both sets. so got home and got the 1st one screwed in and grabbed the torque wrench and set it to 120 Nm started to tighten it to the torque and SNAP :evil: the key had split down the side so cant undo the nut and cant get the rest fitted
now have to wait on McGard (based in germay) to send me a replacement, other prob is thy wont send one out till they receive the broken one. am thinking around 2 -3 weeks

Heres my question does anybody know of a way of removing the bolt without the key ?

im not sure how the locking nuts work but if you can get them a little lose can u not just unscrew them with your hands? or do they not turn at all with no key?

thats the problem the nuts on too tight to undo by hand and the keys split down the side as soon as you put pressure on it the split opened up and just slid round and off the pattern

its a pain as didnt want to leave the tt alloys on until i got the vw centers for them

Fingers probably does this sort of thing all day long!

Try the local quick fit fast budget tyre - they get this problem all day long so they usually have a set of tools handy. Once I fabricated my own key with a few nails and block of metal and a drill. I cut the nail heads off and hey it worked - a perfect fit.

PS: The new forum needs testing - any volunteers? http://www.torquecars.com/forums/ (All accounts and posts will be deleted when I move this forum data over but I would be really gratefull if you could report any problems issues or errors!)

Sorry - I should have said. I can't move partial members over. Can I impose on you to create a new account?

yeah a done that

will i need to keep the new account or will this one be carried across with everything else

the games are a good laugh some of them runnin a bit fast to keep up

The plan is to move everything across, members posts and PM's. But I'm betting that something is going to go missing.

Have you asked Halfords if they have a master set of keys? A master set is basically a box of assorted wheel nut keys, usually manufacturer specific, ome places keep them just incase of incidents like this. If not you cant usually get them off without being brutal and damaging the wheel nut, rendering it useless (and some times damaging the wheel too). The way I usually end up removing keyless nuts is with a (big) hammer and chisel. You wack a deep nick into the top half of the nut, and then chisel from the right to shock the nut into undoing. like I say it can get messy for the wheel. Sorry I cant be more helpful than this.

Waynne, I can't log onto the new site either?

ahhh cheers fingers i was hopng there might be a way of removing without causing damage.

al give halfords a fone the morro seeif they have a set of master keys. i didnt think they would have with them being laser cut.

i just created a new acount to play aboout with the arcade games are fun brought me right back to my childhood

Yep McGuard are easy to remove.

1 socket - I think about a 20mm or 22mm
1 ratchet
10 minutes to do the whole car.

Basically hammer the socket onto the offending locking nut. Apply ratchet and undo.

Good job you got McGuard and not a cheeper make. The metal is softer and you wouls have had to shock them out using a chissle and hammer. Now that takes a little longer to do.

yeah i thought about looking on ebay and found cheap ones for £4 and thought nah there crap

yeah well ive had 2 sets of mcgard nuts in the past and the last set i had a breaker bar and me jumping up and down on it and it was fine

if its not here in a week im thinking that i might have to do that

You can get a set of reverse threaded things that bite into the nut (more usually a bolt) for about thirty quid. You have to sign a declaration that you won't use 'em illegally. But then, any criminal would sign it, too.

Strange world.

should have asked at work as think the fitters have something similer to remove the sheared bolts rather than trying to drill them out and then retap them.

mmm might be asking on wed night if they are the same thing

Well, I had 4 wheel locking nuts on my pug and I didnt have the key so I undid them by using a smaller sized ratchet. Whatever the stud side is, try un-doing them with a size 1/2 times lower, its very hard work but it will work eventually. And oh yeah, doing so, they will break and youll need to get new ones.