Hello, wanting to build my first 10 sec car

conner

Car
Toyota Corolla 2008
My name is Conner, I have recently purchased a Toyota Corolla 2008 LE 4 cylinder engine. and I am wanting to start modifying it because mainly I don't really feel at home with it. I'm very new to the whole car maintenance however have a couple mechanics in the family to help me out. Basically nice to be here hope I can learn some things to help me get under way.

2 questions come to mind:)
1 How deep are your pockets ?
2 Are you seriously wanting a 10 second WWD (Wrong Wheel Drive) FWD car ??

Hello and welcome!

You have a long way to go if you want to get that car over 1/4 mile in 10 seconds!
When it rolled of the factory line it only had 126 bhp. It probably wont be near that 10 years later. And it weighed a lot. 1626kg! Plus driver!
Using this handy guestimator (https://www.torquecars.com/tools/quarter-mile-time.php) you need to shave 8 seconds. That is a massive hill to climb.
You will need to get the car under 1000kg (inc driver) and the BHP over 500!

The engine in that Toyota simply won't do that without exploding.

You will need a donor engine from a car that is known to achieve your target figure.
You will need a gearbox to match.
You will need a fuel delivery system to meet your requirements.
You will need turbos to push more air in.
You will need ECU to control all of that.
You may want to consider converting to rear wheel drive so you don't spin off the track (yes that is possible even on a drag strip).
You will need to upgrade the suspension to keep the car down low and in a straight line.
You will need good tyres to get proper traction.
You will need brakes to stop at the other end.

There will be more.

The Mighty Car Mods chaps (a pair of Aussie car nuts who like to mod cars) recently took a Nissan 240z and gave it an RB engine from a Skyline. It has got massive power now but I dont think it's a "10 second car". Check out this latest vid as they allude to the estimate cost of the project (~AU$100k~).
It's an estimate as non of the people who helped them don't charge for their time and it's hard to quantify that sort of thing. But they guessed around 1000 man hours all in. You may be looking at the same. Plus they have the knowledge already; if you are new to this it will be harder.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people tinkering with their cars and anything is possible with enough money poured in but you may want to start with something a bit more achievable and move on to the big projects after.

However if you want to jump right and make a Corolla do insane things then go for it :)

Last edited:
Oh and if you do achieve the 10 second target and want to keep it road legal, don't forget to tell your insurer.
Check the local regulations for your part of the world.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back