hello saab 02' viggen owner here ! my latest mod idea opinions ?

viggen

Car
saab 02' viggen CV
  1. I read this in a Saab forum and decided to post it to elicit comments I suppose he is speaking of the high power assist of the stock, OEM PS system and wanted a solution to improve steering feel/feedback! less filtering? I wonder if this is / would be safe so i do not sanction it so beware ! would like a qualified engineer to comment and give their opinion? thx Subject:" In an effort to improve steering feel because I never liked the high-level power assist on my cars, I figured that had few options:SO"

4)" I did this: I was replacing the power steering pump anyway, and I realized that it has an internal pressure relief valve just like the engine oil pump. In both cases the fluid pressure can build until a certain level, at which point a spring is overcome, a ball or piston moves which exposes a passageway, and the excess pressure escapes. The output pressure is determined by the strength of the spring. So I totally guessed and clipped off 2 coils from this spring, ground the end flat, and reassembled. "

"So far it drives like I had hoped - which is like 20% of the power assist is gone, and the steering wheel has a new weight to it. Parallel parking is still no problem. I don't see any downsides to this, only upsides...like less wear and tear on the PS pump, belt, pressure hoses, and steering rack because of lower system pressure. A little less power robbed from the crankshaft too. Anyone else try this? " PS
    PS now how about if we could adjust it at will? a small electric servo motor or a stepper motor turning a bolt, shaft, changing the pre-load on the /a spring (like in the example above ) like motorcycle fork springs adjust preload? bring our old steeds into the 21 st century? who wants to suss this out and make it happen ? WE are a nation of clever engineers and auto part producers ! thx I'm interested in is adapting a TRW EHPS pump (eg, Volvo S40/V50) and building some sort of gateway that can convert the 4000ppm speed signal into a CAN message to control the pump. That is useful across 99/900/NG900/OG9-3 and probably dozens of other cars as well. Now who is an electronic boffin and can pull this little job off ? THX

Hello and welcome to this awesome site, one of my favourite sites around, we generally have quite good banter and laughs on here so please stick around and post loads, looking forward to getting to know you better.

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin! Nice to have you along.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back