Hello I'm a total addicyed newbie!!

Mattnconroy

Car
Volvo s40t5awd2005
From canada manitoulin. Island ojibway and loving my volvo s 50 t5 awd. The first upgrade I will be doing us the k&n intake system.

However,.....I'm left confused there rid a k&n air filter system and k&n induction kit for half the price both claiming to add 14.1 hp.

What is the difference ? Air filter system and imductom kit.

The second will be an exaust

Ferrita stainless downpipe with Ecocat for Volvo S40, V50, C30, C70.
This what I'm. Thinking of for the second edition .

The third edition not sure either inter cooler or an evolve ecuchip. Any suggestions on what they would do please leave a post!!!! Thanks

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

It looks like you got a reply in your duplicate thread ;)

Hi and Welcome.

If you are expecting 14bhp you will be very disappointed. Independant tests on after market filters show little or no improvement and in some cases an actual decrease!

Manufacturers have spent millions of £/€/$ and years designing suitable intake systems. I know that they have to meet many conflicting criteria but they still do a pretty good job. Unless your are modifying your engine so it needs more air just put a new OEM filter in.

However, if you'd want the noise then go ahead (this is what I term an all fart but no sh*t mod)

Last edited:
Unless the standard filter is a restriction there is little if anything to be gained by fitting an induction kit. With lots of other mods it is a sensible option though.

Really nice to have another crazy car mod addicted member among us. You'll fit in just fine.

Have a good look round our site as we try to be unbiased in our comments and opinions on all types of modification and you should save yourself a small fortune by picking ht right mods for your car http://www.torquecars.com/tuning

Unless the standard filter is a restriction there is little if anything to be gained by fitting an induction kit. With lots of other mods it is a sensible option though.

Really nice to have another crazy car mod addicted member among us. You'll fit in just fine.

Have a good look round our site as we try to be unbiased in our comments and opinions on all types of modification and you should save yourself a small fortune by picking ht right mods for your car http://www.torquecars.com/tuning

Thanks for the tips I'm already disappointed cause I had a plan, no no plan is better than a bad plan!! So thanks. According to what I read getting a remap or new icu such as evolve(we're talking about chipping right). Is the best way to add power to the engine , and I can do this to a stock engine off the hop? I do have new spark plugs and oil change. Etc

Hi and Welcome. &amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br />
If you are expecting 14bhp you will be very disappointed. Independant tests on after market filters show little or no improvement and in some cases an actual decrease!<br />
<br />
Manufacturers have spent millions of £/€/$ and years designing suitable intake systems. I know that they have to meet many conflicting criteria but they still do a pretty good job. Unless your are modifying your engine so it needs more air just put a new OEM filter in. However, if you'd want the noise then go ahead (this is what I term an all fart but no sh*t mod) &amp;lt;img src=&amp;quot;images/smilies/icon_smile.gif&amp;quot; border=&amp;quot;0&amp;quot; alt=&amp;quot;&amp;quot; title=&amp;quot;Smile&amp;quot; smilieid=&amp;quot;14&amp;quot; class=&amp;quot;inlineimg&amp;quot; /&amp;gt;

We'll thanks for the advice, I don't want to be wasting time or money, so what would you do first to the cAr?

IMO exhaust,inter cooler then remap or retune on a dyno .DO NOT install any non factory air cleaner in the engine bay where it can only get HOT air as any turbo needs COLD air for the best result.
I would also get a boost controller fitted along with say an Autometer gauge and have the car tuned to the boost level you want to run. You should also discuss your mods with the tuner regarding the injectors duty cycle as they may not be able to supply sufficient fuel while not exceeding stay 85 percent DS

DO NOT be tempted to increase the boost pressure over where it was tuned as the motor may run lean and experience detonation and damage .

Last edited:
IMO exhaust,inter cooler then remap or retune on a dyno .DO NOT install any non factory air cleaner in the engine bay where it can only get HOT air as any turbo needs COLD air for the best result.
I would also get a boost controller fitted along with say an Autometer gauge and have the car tuned to the boost level you want to run. You should also discuss your mods with the tuner regarding the injectors duty cycle as they may not be able to supply sufficient fuel while not exceeding stay 85 percent DS

DO NOT be tempted to increase the boost pressure over where it was tuned as the motor may run lean and experience detonation and damage .

Great this information helps a lot, I'm so new that u don't know what IMO muffler is, was looking at sport mufflers on a variety of different sites. Could I explain more about dump, I looked it up but the site didn't help much, I'm guessing I but the parts and the chip n they install it?

Great this information helps a lot, I'm so new that u don't know what IMO muffler is, was looking at sport mufflers on a variety of different sites. Could I explain more about dump, I looked it up but the site didn't help much, I'm guessing I but the parts and the chip n they install it?
A dump is a large diameter pipe that is fitted directly to the turbo say 2.5or3 inch as turbos need zero back pressure to produce the most power,ideally the whole system should be all the same size and made with mandrel bends with say a resonator midway and a straight thru rear muffler for the best result.
FWIW for what it is worth I have a Haltec tuneable EMS or computer.

Hello and a warm but belated (very sorry for my delay) welcome from me the site admin, really good to have you along.

I hope you enjoy the forums as much as we do. Please get involved in our many discussions and topics, we love to hear peoples opinions and questions.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back