Hello I am a newbie.

Mr2Gan

Car
MR2 MK2 Turbo
Hello, I am a newbie and I own a 91 Toyota MR2 SW20 turbo with a Gen 2 engine.
I am a DIYer so would like to learn or pick up as much tips to help me DIY my 2.
There is a lot of great info and learning especially on the do's and don'ts on upgrading/modifying from TC.
My future plan is to replace the side IC to a bigger top mount IC and modify the mid intake manifold to a side entrant. This will take me a pretty log time to complete. Also a MS2 DIY ECU. Hope to get all the support/advice from the seniors forum members. Thank you.

Hi and welcome.
I used to at times have to drive a MR2 NA car way back when working as a driver trainer and I love the shape<B BUT getting at the motor to work on it is difficult and be aware that they can be twitchy and want to fire you off into the scenery especially if you are driving fast and lift off mid corner as it will induce an oversteer "tank slapper" :eek: especially when pushed above say 8/10ths due to the mid engine design.

Would recommend some advanced driving instruction especially as it appears that you are intending to increase the power output|B

Please keep us informed of your progress:)

PS you will find more info here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_MR2

Last edited:
Hi TC,
Thanks mate for the welcome.
Fully agreed with you. I have spin off the road on big sharp bend downhill and the road was wet just after a shower. Silly me did not shift down and was tapping the brake to try slowing the car down a little bit when attacking the apex thinking going down hill the momentum will assist me in accelerating off the bend. I was wrong and this mid engine car requires driving skill, entirely different driving style to a FWD car which I was so used to. It is a fun car and requires a lot of gear change in handling in whatever road condition. A good lesson learnt from that. Found out later that this car's suspension geometry needs serious modification for both the front and rear when one lower the car. That's what got me into the problem "Oversteer".

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin!

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Hi TC,
Thanks mate for the welcome.
Fully agreed with you. I have spin off the road on big sharp bend downhill and the road was wet just after a shower. Silly me did not shift down and was tapping the brake to try slowing the car down a little bit when attacking the apex thinking going down hill the momentum will assist me in accelerating off the bend. .

I note that you were "tapping the brake" which would unsettle the car due to the weight transfer constantly changing the front to rear grip levels.
Smooth constant application of brake pressure is the way to go.|B

hello everyone ,, I am Arsen)) I am a new member here )) thanks for your post , nice to meet you all here, in this web site

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back