Hello from the furthest reaches of civilization

2old4this

Car
mazda mx5
My wife tells me I am too old for this but reading here I see I am just an Autumn chicken (pushing 60) I have been into cars all my life 4s 6s and bent 8s Best 1 was a Mk4 Zephyr that I put a 4 brl 327ci Chevy in when I was 19 Now I'm a bit banged up and move slow I have liberated my wife's Mx5 Mazda and am in the process of turboing it My 1st foray into forced induction

Hi and welcome youngster.

You may want to consider altering your forum name to never2old4this :)

You are banged up and decide to modify a very low car? I see plenty of pain killers for back ache in your future :)

Forgot to say that I would love to see a build thread on here.

I know nothing about MX5 engines so it will be a learning experience for me also :)

Are you modifying the original engine?
What turbo spec are you planning and any idea on power output?

Hello and a very warm welcome to TorqueCars, it's really nice to have you along. I hope you enjoy your time on here.

If you are a petrolhead then You'll fit in just fine! Feel free to share your thoughts on our many topics and discussions, the more the merrier.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not an expert in anything , I am a player. I got carbs sussed just in time for fuel injection to make them obsolete. I can make a push rod O.H.V. fly but in these days of twin cam 4 valves who cares. Computers and wireing do my head in (being colour blind doesn't help) so the Mx5 is a steep learning curve. I want a quick road car not a racer.
O.G. yes it is the stock B6ze 1.6 ltr I don't post much but read plenty. I am using a HT 12 turbo, a bit smaller than a T25

Carbs are still around, especially on big V8s stuffed into drag cars.

Is this the turbo fitted to the 3rd Generation RX-7 (which comes with a pair)?
51 mm, 9 blade turbine and a 57 mm, 10 blade compressor.
Are you lowering the compression ratio or restricting boost?

Sorry for late reply O.G. My computer is sulking. My turbo came off a Nissan Terrano 2.7 diesel. Its got 51 mm 10 blade turbine and a 57 mm 6 pair (on the inlet side) compressor.

I think it will work because The Mazda is a 1.6 the Nissan is 2.7 therefore the Mazda will have to spin at 1.6 (ish) the revs of the Nissan to flow the same amount of air. (I know diesels and petrols flow a bit different but I've allowed for fudge). Also the airflow has horrible right angle bends on the inlet side and exhaust side of the turbo originally, these I will deal to during the fitting which should improve things considerably.

I don't know if this is true but it might be worth looking into: Basically I read that diesel turbo units aren't built to withstand the same operating temperature ranges that petrol engines create, and are more likely to fail in those circumstances.

I would never put anyone off doing anything a bit experimental and different, but it may be worth thinking about that in your build.....

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back