Hello from Northern Ireland

Blackie

Wrench Pro
Car
Getz Sport 1.6 16v
Hello there!

Whilst searching for ideas on how to get more power from my wee Getz it suggested this forum, so I thought I'd sign up.

I took ownership of a 2004 Hyundai Getz Sport 1.6 16v just before Christmas.

It's standard (bar the factory extras such as the bodykit, tints, and leather which I'm told was not an option for the Getz in the UK, the i20 wheels), but I would like to see how I can get more power from it and see how I can tame the understeer.

May I as the site admin wish you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars. It is really nice to meet you and I hope you'll be spending some time with us over the months to come.

You'll find us one of the friendliest and most helpful car tuning forums around.

What plans do you have for your car? Will it be a daily driver or a weekend fun car project? I'm sure we can give you lots of ideas and suggestions if you need any.

Greetings Blackie and welcome to our TorqueCars forum young man :)

I had no idea what the Getz looked like but that does not look bad at all buddy ;)

It might be worth making a phone call to someone like Celtic Tuning or Viezu to see what they can offer you in the way of a remap. Now the performance gains won't be as large as if the car was turbocharged, but you should still see some gains to put a smile on your face. Some tuning companies actually send you out a gadget with the map already on it, you simply plug it in to your OBD2 port and upload it. I would suggest however that first you give the car a full service including sparkplugs and air filter.

Hi guys, thanks for the warm welcome.

The car is a daily driver. Plans, really they're only to tidy it up and to try and squeeze whatever power from it that I can. It's never going to set the roads on fire without serious money being thrown at it, but that's a luxury I don't have, so anything done will be over a very long period of time.

One thing I would like to do is again as stated above, to try and tame the understeer. That said I realise that at this time of year(and living in Northern Ireland) the understeer can, in part, be attributed to the road conditions, and also because the car is fwd so it is a "non-optional extra", but I'm sure that with the right mods I can tame it a bit.

"Off the shelf" performance parts seem near impossible to find for the Getz here in the UK, not sure where this model of Hyundai is found elsewhere in the world and what, if anything, is available in the rest of the world.

Thanks again for the welcome :)

It might be worth making a phone call to someone like Celtic Tuning or Viezu to see what they can offer you in the way of a remap. Now the performance gains won't be as large as if the car was turbocharged, but you should still see some gains to put a smile on your face. Some tuning companies actually send you out a gadget with the map already on it, you simply plug it in to your OBD2 port and upload it. I would suggest however that first you give the car a full service including sparkplugs and air filter.

First thing I did when I got the car was a full service - great minds think alike! lol! The car had been fitted with a K&N panel filter and looked clean, so I left it as is.

It had also been fitted (as mentioned on another thread) with what the previous owner called, a "turbo fan" which was activated by the suction of air through it and was allegedly to help improve the air/fuel atomisation and therefore help performance! Some wild claims!!

I removed the fan impeller part as to me it looked like it would restrict airflow rather than improve it!!

The previous owner had also fitted "fuel saving magnets" to the fuel line, these where also promptly removed!!

Some people and their gullible ideas of "tuning" a car!!

A front strut brace will help with the understeer and sometimes the addition of a four/six point subframe brace will tighten things up nicely. Google is your friend here as it will be far cheaper for an off the shelf version than going bespoke.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back