Hello from an old VW owner

MikeMcCarthy

Tuner
Car
66 Bug turbo
My name is Mike McCarthy and I have been around VW's for many years. The car I have now is a 1966 Beetle that is receiving alot of parts from my previous race cars. The engine is a 2387 Turboed with a side draft Dellorto 48 mm . I had this same engine in my Pro Outlaw car here in North Carolina , USA. I hope to make some new friends and learn new ways of doing things I have done and increase my knowledge . Thanks for allowing me in, Mike
A vid of my old red car,

Hey Mike is/was the motor a Pauter stroker??
Would recommend that you ditch the carby and go FI for much better tuning ;):)

PS is it just the car that is old or both of you

Hey Mike is/was the motor a Pauter stroker??
Would recommend that you ditch the carby and go FI for much better tuning ;):)

PS is it just the car that is old or both of you
Lol , we both are old. My engine is a 2387 Type 1 that I assembled with Dave Kawell prepped parts. I am still using the same engine from the race car in my street car. It does have a carb ( a side draft 48 Dellorto prepped by Dave Kawell ) and I really like the way it works, I wouldn't trade it for a FI system. Mike

Is it a suck or blow thru system?

Quad TB's on a injected NA car sound can sound good as well|B

The setup is a T04B H trim "draw through" using a Dellorto DHLA 48mm carb. The last time on the dyno it produced 366 rwhp and 15lbs boost . I was very lucky to meet and have Dave and Judy Kawell become friends of mine, they mentored me on my whole engine build and are a super wealth of knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would propel Hitlers peoples car along at a respectable rate :eek::)

PS I seem to recall that there was some cons to a draw thru regarding wear to the compressor wheel from the fuel?? have you had any problems in this area ?

I just recently tore my turbo down to check the bearings and wheels, looked great . I replaced the journal bearings with OEM Garrett units and cleaned everything spotless and upgraded to a 360 thrust . While I had it apart I also polished the shaft and replaced the dynamic seals with gapless replacements from Turbonetics. So far I am happy with what I did , no smoke and runs as good as it always did. Mike

Hello there and a very warm welcome to TorqueCars, it's great to have you along. Thanks for joining up.

I'm sure you'll find us very friendly and helpful, get involved in our many topics and threads and feel free to ask for tuning tips and solutions to problems in our technical and make and model forums. ;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back