Hello Everyone

TONY11981

Car
Avensis D4D 2000
Hi everyone. I am from Cameroon. I just bought a used toyota avensis D4D from Finland, that was first registered in March 2000. It is however suffering from loss of power. Our local technicians think that the mass airflow sensor is bad and that is why it does not run well. Fuel Consumption however is low. Could the mass airflow sensor be the real cause of the loss of power?

Hi and welcome

Yes, this sensor could be the cause of your power loss. However, with modern cars there are a host of other reasons why it isn't running properly.

If you can connect it up to a diagnostic machine that will probably point you in the right direction. but bear in mind that there may well be more than one cause.

Greetings TONY11981 and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

THANKS Y'ALL. @ old-git THANKS A LOT FOR THE ADVICE. IN CAMEROON, A DIAGNOSTIC MACHINE IS NOT SO COMMON BUT I'LL TRY TO FIND A REPAIR SHOP THAT HAS ONE.

Hi there.

Why don't you buy a diagnostic tool? Something like the Autel EU702 would be more than adequate for your needs and can be picked up for around £150 or less and provides details of fault codes with explanations and also displays live data.

Thanks McCrash. I'll consider getting one. It turns out, the mass airflow sensor is not the main problem but something related to it. I just but a new mass airflow sensor but no improvement. The diagnostic tool indicates MAF sensor but our local technicians cannot tell what precisely is the problem with it.