Heat insulation

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
i am looking to source heat reflecting material to protect fibreglass and carbon fibre from turbo and exhaust heat. Due to temperatures around 950 degrees C at the turbo I need something pretty efficient.

I am leaning towards Zircotec's Zircoflex range but wondered what guys on here would recommend?

I used some adhesive gold foiled reflective sheet on sheet carbon for exactly that .

I made up a cold box for the air filters as it was right next to the twin turbos which as you said get very hot.

Im pretty sure it was zircoflex but will look for the invoice or see if the name is on any of the offcuts I have left

Obviously you will have been on their site so know the cost . All I will add is that it definately worked very well for me..

I dont have a pic of the "engine side" but...

Have a look on Demon Tweeks website OG, Ben at Carbon Weezel showed me some gold leaf adhesive backed stuff which he uses for his mini, its very good by all accounts.

I have got a picture of the panel that Ben has done but it is on my other PC, I shall post up a photo for you later this afternoon OG.

Last edited:
I used some adhesive gold foiled reflective sheet on sheet carbon for exactly that .

I made up a cold box for the air filters as it was right next to the twin turbos which as you said get very hot.

Im pretty sure it was zircoflex but will look for the invoice or see if the name is on any of the offcuts I have left

Obviously you will have been on their site so know the cost . All I will add is that it definately worked very well for me.

I have asked Peter at Zircoflex which products would best suit my various issues - turbo close to carbon fibre bonnet, exhaust pipe near bulkhead and exhaust box adjacent to steel sill. I will report on his response.

Zircoflex Gold looks neat but is xpensive but might be the best choice for the bonnet with Zircoflex II for the bulkhead and Zircoflex I for the sill. We shall see.

Have a look on Demon Tweeks website OG, Ben at Carbon Weezel showed me some gold leaf adhesive backed stuff which he uses for his mini, its very good by all accounts.

I have got a picture of the panel that Ben has done but it is on my other PC, I shall post up a photo for you later this afternoon OG.

D-T offer a product from ATL in silver and gold, with the silver option the better perfomer and cheaper!

I look forward to seeing the photos.

Just received a reply from Zircotec:
Although ZircoFlex® GOLD has proved to be excellent in both its thermal and reflective performance we have been a bit disappointed with its durability.

For that reason we are no longer offering ZircoFlex® GOLD as part of our ZircoFlex® heat shield material product line.

Our Aluminium ZircoFlex® heat shield material is still being used successfully in all levels of motorsport including F1.

OK, I think that has made my mind up. 'Zircoflex III' for the bonnet, 'II' for the bulkhead and 'I' for the sill. Just have to save up for it now :-(

Thanks for that OG, I have taken the information onboard.
Here is the picture of Ben's car part in that gold heat reflective sheet.

It will be the parts you dont think of that get hot. You are using a YB at big Power they fry Alternators. Remember doing 5 in a year before problem solved. The Audi 100 uses an Alternator cooler fits to the back of the alternator & is ducted to front bumper. Never had another problem.

Use Zircotec coating on Exhaust etc & personally ive found the Demon Tweeks material is good for making shields & covers. Picture below.

Have you considered having the turbo,manifold & dump HPC coated ? Is Zircotec a similar product ??

Ziroctec is the company, zircoflex is one of their products.

My manifold and exhaust have been ceramic coated by Zircotec. I am thnking about doing the same to the turbo (exhaust side).

Zircoflex is an aluminium sheet covered with their ceramic material.