greasy deposit in engine oil filler

I

iaintaylor

Just done first oil change since my daughter bought a 4 year old, 36000 miles, Renault Clio. When I removed the engine filler cap there was a thick, white, greasy build up inside the cap and filler tube and deposits inside the OHC space. Any ideas what might have caused this. I suspect mixing of incompatible oils by previous owner but not certain.

If it's white it's more likely to be water and oil mixing. It might be simply that the engine has only done short journeys and the water present is simply a result of condensation. Simple fix for this is a good hard drive for 1/2 hour or so. Do read on before proceeding.

It is possible that the cause is a failed head gasket, in which case it's best not to work the engine too hard and get it inspected (pressure tested) first to determine if this is the case.

Keep an eye on it. A white mayonnaise is a symptom of gasket problems. Make sure it doens't over heat.

Hopefully as HDI says it was just the condensation that had built up. A lot of low mileage cars have only ever done short journeys and condensation build up occurs.

Last edited:
My father's car has exactly this problem and it is a result of short journeys. We've had it pressure tested and the gasket is sound.

It's not so much cold starts which are a problem, it's the cold stops which leave the engine full of damp air. This damp air can be pretty corrosive as well - not good for engine internals.

The most common cause is the short trips, especially in cold damp weather. One of the reasons I take my wife's car occasionally when I'm going outside the city (both my Grand Cherokee and her Outlander are 2 years old. My GC has 38,000 km, her Outlander 9,000).
This is a major reason for the new ILSAC GF-5 spec (with the API SN). The sodium Sulfonate detergent helps keep that from clogging up the engines.

Of course it could be from a leaking head gasket. Keep an eye on the water level. If it drops. You need a leak-down test to confirm the gasket.

Sniff test is the easiest way to tell,

You "sniff" the water in the coolant, using a certain chemical to see if there is any hydrocarbons (oil) in the water, if the chemical in the vessel changes colour then it's a new head gasket is needed. Buy a genuine part for something like this as a patent part is likely to give you problems in the future.