grandis timing belt or chain

barnsleylad

Car
2.4 MIVEC Grandis
hi all. just put deposit down on a 2004 54 plate grandis 2.4 mivec with 36000 miles and was wondering if it was a timing belt or chain and what milage the belt should be changed if it is. thanks in advance

Last edited:
hi all. just put deposit down on a 2004 54 plate grandis 2.4 mivec with 36000 miles and was wondering if it was a timing belt or chain and what milage the belt should be changed if it is. thanks in advance
hi and welcome to tc
to be honest, if you just bought it, id get the belt done regardless belt or chain
i never take someones word for it when it comes to the timing belt

you could look up the net to see which 1 it is
but getting it done straight away, you will see for yourself, and have peace of mind too

This is something I always do when I buy a car just to be on the safe side. Belts lifetime varies a lot. Some manufacturers say 40,000 and others as much as 80,000. This will typically be shown in your service book when you get the car. If the book says 50,000 or more I'd be tempted to wait until your next service as 36,000 miles is nothing really.

thanks for the replys. phoned perrys today and found out its a belt and needs changing at 54000. im a grease monkey myself and usualy change the belts anyway when i by motors but just could't fine any info on autodata for the grandis.

Theres not much online either, that'll teach you for buying something so rare:lol:

Have you got any plans to modify the Grandis?

i must admit i have been looking at extra bits and bobs. seen a cool sports import mod with skirts and deep bumpers with 18 in wheels. problem is the wife uses it for childminding so dont want to go too over the top. dont think they look to bad standard anyway.

Pretty reliable from what i've heard. There are a few people with fuel pump failures and a lot really dislike the suspension on lumpy roads but that is easily sorted. You should be pretty happy with it.

Why did you choose the Grandis out of interest?

looks good and seat layout. rear row fold down like zafira but more like a full size seat than the zafira and never had a major fault with the spacewagon so fingers crossed