Good morning from NW Kent

Cubefish

Wrench Pro
Car
Citroen C1
Good morning,

A quick introduction... As the title says, I'm in NW Kent, and despite having driven for the last 27 years I have to confess that I don't know a great deal about cars - neither the gubbins under the bonnet, body work, nor makes/models. But following a prang a few weeks ago (100% not my fault) I thought I should try to understand more about what makes the car run smoothly, and how the panels and trims fit together. To help me start the journey, I have the Haynes Manual. YouTube has also been useful.

My present vehicle is the humble Citroen C1 - base model with no electric conveniences such as electric windows, remote central locking, or air conditioning. I like to feel close to the road when I drive, and I feel these could lead me to feel more shielded from road dangers than I really am.

The C1 is converted to LPG (BRG system), so there are extra widgets and wotsits under the bonnet for me to learn about.

I'm interested in making some simple, non-performance, modifications to my car. So far I have hard-wired front- and rear-facing dashcams, concealing the cabling beneath the headliner and A pillars, then beneath the dash. A spur circuit from the interior fuse box provides power to a 12v-5v DC 2x USB converter. Next I will be installing a Scangauge II (again, hard wiring it) and then replacing the 12v accessory socket (aka cigarette lighter socket) with dual USB outlets.

Ultimately, I just want to understand cars and learn to recognise / resolve common problems, and learn how to keep my vehicle in top notch condition inside and out.

C.

Howdo. You sound like youve got an engineering brain so I reckon you'll be fine. brake discs and pads are a good starting place. Relatively easy but very satisfying.

Hello from me in the other corner of Kent, it's really good to have you aboard. Enjoy your time on here, were friendly so ask as many questions as you like and we'll try to guide you as best we can.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back