Torque Cars

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

General engine tuning tips (VERY General)

Discussion in 'General car Chat' started by obi_waynne, 3 October 2006.

1. speed culture

speed culture Tuner

Seychelles
    Car:
    T. Corona 3sge Gen3
    electric supercharger

2. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    eletric superchargers are a waste o time mate. i cant see how a small eletric fan can produce a big enough airflow to make an increase in airflow

3. speed culture

speed culture Tuner

Seychelles
    Car:
    T. Corona 3sge Gen3
    then who the hell invented it?
    tell that guy that hes wasting our name!

4. pgarner

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    somebody wh wanted to make a quick buck.
    they do work to an extent but nothing like a proper supercharger

5. Country Bumpkin

Country Bumpkin Track Warrior

Norfolk
    Car:
    GTO T.T.
    That rubber seal isn't there for cosmetics or stopping heat from escaping. It's there to prevent oils/contaminates from the engine hitting the screen in the event of an engine failure. Trust me, wipers do not remove oil from your screen, only smear it so you can't see diddly squat.

6. The rubber strip is also there for another reason. It creates a 'tunnel effect through the engine creating a lower presssure, This increase air flow through the engine to assist the cooling,
    Most engines if the air filter has a cold air feed to it won't i see gain from this, If you allow the engine to cool to much you will increase engine wear,

Last edited by a moderator: 6 October 2008
  7. Wth regards to performance every engine is different and gains from different areas of tuning,
    For instance Turbo engines that are in production unless something like a Evo run low boost and maintain a highish compression ratio, One way to gain power without altering factory settings is to look at air flow and cam durations, For instance i would be tempted on this application to create a swirl flow with larger valves, allowing more air/fuel mix to enter the cylinder and best mixture, Cams i would look at, This would allow the engine to work more efficently

What we like about the smaller engine cars and what we are developing now whichi am intrested in trying to get out onto the tuners is 'remote turbo systems' Bear with me:

Most modern middle of the range car manufacturers i.e ford are looking for a new way to develop economy and performance, with new regs as well, What they i believe are doing is focusing on small engined turbo petrol cars,
    Now we are taking this idea and developing easy to install systems and ideas and performance, What we are doing instead of haiving expensive turbo manifolds produced and trying to cool the charge whilst finding room in the engine bay. What this system does it puts the turbo into the exhaust system past the manifold, This allows easier installation and we run aluminium pipe back acting as a intercooler,
    We build these kits as customs at the moment but trying to develop bolt on versions to extend our range, This allows small engined cars to have significant gains without massive engine work,

8. dnx

dnx Grease Monkey

Car:
    saab 900s
    hi i bought one of them electric superchargers for my car before i had a1.6 vectra and it done nothing for it,so we tryed it on my friends saxo still nothing,to be honest it looked like a hair dryer
    ,and i talked to a mate he told me unless i changed the fuel mixture forcing more air in would be a waste of time.hope this helps a bit

9. pgarner

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    the electric superchargers cant really move enough air to make a difference

10. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    They certainly can't move big enough masses of air in order to compress it during the engine intake cycle. The biggest risk is the fan blades disintegrating, thus filling the intake with shards of broken plastic and metal.

Waste of time I'm afraid.

944 likes this.
  11. Keith ST204

Keith ST204 Grease Monkey

NSW, Australia
    Car:
    Prius Celica Hilux
    I hope that I am not putting this in the wrong area, if I am please move it to where I should have entered it. I just wanted to let you know that recently my son has bought and oxygen sensor and small PC board that we have made up a chamber for the O2 sensor to fit into and a sniffer pipe that he placed up the tail pipe and he has connected it to a lap top computer and he now gets air/fuel ratio, RPM and MAP sensor readings which are recorded on the lap top so you can see what is happening. I don't know if it can record other information but it seems to work very well, he bought it try and sort out mixture problems in his TA22 Celica with a 2TG/3T hybrid engine. This is probably something that you are already aware of but I thought that I would let you know anyway, I think he said that it was an Australian designed and built system. The O2 sensor and PC board only cost him about $300 Aust. which I think would be less than 140 pounds in your world and then it took us about three or four hours to make the chamber and pipes to hook it into, I have no idea how long it took him to set up after that.

obi_waynne likes this.
  12. pgarner

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    most of this can be found using diagnostic equipment that connects to the diagnostic port for the ecu.
    not sure how this kit could work out the MAP and RPM readings from it by being placed up the exhaust

13. Keith ST204

Keith ST204 Grease Monkey

NSW, Australia
    Car:
    Prius Celica Hilux
    He is using it on a 1973 car that does not have an ECU, has an aftermarket programable electronic ignition that still uses the contact points but vacuum and mechanical advance have been disabled. There is a MAP sensor connected to the ignition unit and this test unit is connected to the MAP sensor and ignition system to record the information from them. The pipe that is put up the exhaust pipe is only for air/fuel ratio. This engine also does not have EFI either, it has two twin barrel side draft Solex carbies as was originally fitted to the 2TG's when they were made back in the 70's.

14. davevm

davevm Torque Junkie

SULTANATE OF OMAN
    Car:
    2001 Mazda 626
    Whatever you do, theirs a one-up guy that will pass you.

15. indiaman

indiaman Track Warrior

Bangalore India
    Car:
    Tata Marina diesel
    There are a few Skoda 1.9 litre Diesels here in Bangalore that do the 1/4 mile in 14.5 seconds, the "pump duse" system is relatively easy to tune.

16. wolfmankurd

wolfmankurd Track Warrior

London
    Car:
    Renault Clio 1.2
    I always saw the ability to remap diesels analogous to overclocking your cpu. CPU's are sold at set clock speeds and then they are tested for the capability to run at a given speed then sent off to sell. But the same procedure is effectively used for all cpu's (you get chanegs in tehcnology e.g. 65nm to 45nm etc).

They only reason to do this is to protect their high end range, it's cheaper to have one factory making one cpu then sleeing it at a clock it's stable at. Yet you are usually fully able to change the speed the cpu will run at load with all the other components in PC with a 20% overclock being achievable usually in 2 mins and no need for testing. I have 2.8ghz set to run at 4GHz which money couldn't buy.

And it's ashame that the car industry doesn't allow access without special software/cables to the appropriate chips. Perhaps the car enthusiast industry is smaller (due to high cost) compared to the computer industry, though I reckon you could get a decent car for the money I spent on my pc (2k-ish). Computer enthusiasts are usually willing to buy higher end then overclock.

Sorry to be off topic.

Last edited: 5 March 2010
  17. jarrus

jarrus Pro Tuner

West Midlands, UK
    Car:
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    It's like I tell people, why do it if you aren't going to do it properly?
    In my experience (very little)
    There's no such word as "cheap" when you want more power out of a car.....

18. claymore

claymore The Torque Meister

Shrewsbury
    Car:
    T-10k,
    Sorry, I don't agree, I'm running 300bhp, and the car and all mods only come to about £650. It's a lot to do with knowing what you are doing and getting the right parts at the right price.

19. 944

944 Torque Junkie

Podgorica,Montenegro
    Car:
    golf 1.9 TDI 120 hp
    agree claymore!.....
    and one other think last time i red this thread i didnt oay a lot of atencion on it,and all the disel stuff,but a few days before i drove my friend 2006 535d bmw with slight mod with 300 bhp and i couldnt belive how fast it is!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile::bigsmile:earlyer if i saw a d sign i thought-ahh those noisy thinks...haha but i was soo suprised with its sound!!!!!!it sound absolutly beautiful when flor it...sounds like a huge petrol engine...:cheesy:

20. premierrio

premierrio Banned

India
    Car:
    Rio, Safari
    thanks for sharing tips for us............. really thanks

21. supafly1

supafly1 Wrench Pro

South Africa
    Car:
    Astra
    the biggest power gain i have had on my 1.6 with a single modification was gas flowing my head.

22. 95Rolla

95Rolla Grease Monkey

Nambour, Australia
    Car:
    Toyota SECA '95
    What would the best way be to get more power out of a 1.6L 4afe toyota engine. I have already had a 2.5 inch sports exhaust put on and have a K&N air filter.

23. Lydon

Lydon Grease Monkey

south africa, cape town
    Car:
    Audi 4A2C (c4)
    i think ur exhaust may be too big for your little 1600 motor u have there

24. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Pro Tuner

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    See if yiu can adapt a 4GZE charger to the AFE motor.
    Suggest you also check out the "rolla boys" site

25. RachelM96

RachelM96 Wrench Kid

Liverpool
    Car:
    Vauxhall Corsa
    A great read, thanks for the tip! |B