Frustrated pug 307 hdi owner

genevive51

Car
pug 307 sw 2.0 hdi
Hi folks, I'm new to this site and groping my way around at the minute. I have a Pug 307 sw 2 litre hdi that my wife drives. It is cracking me up at the minute with error messages coming on and the car going into limp home mode. This is maybe a very stupid question, but, does anyone know if it is possible to put the earlier mechanical injector pump engine and gearbox from a 306 xld or the like into this car? I would really love to do away with the overcomplicated hdi, thanks Nigel :bigsmile:

Thanks for the replies folks, I had the engine scanned and it had the error code p0243 (intermittent fault. turbo pressure electrovalve short circuited to earth or open circuit). I'm a maintenance fitter by trade and have no problem with changing engines etc. It just seems to me that I could buy a 306 for 300 or 400 pounds and I would have all the bits to swap if it would fit. I could sell my own hdi engine and get £70 or £80 quid for the old shell as scrap when I was finished with it. The other way to go would be to get my hdi fixed and in a fortnight it could do something else and I have to pay to scan the ecu again. Maybe i'm being pessimistic about this engine, we had a 406 before which did 50000 miles in our ownership without a cough, but I've got a bad feeling about this 307. Anyway, any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated, cheers Nigel

Hi and welcome to TorqueCars. I know lots of happy 307 owners who have had no problems at all. It may well be that you have a bit of a lemon there, but I'd say stick with it or drop in the 2.2 engine from a 406 as these are quite good units.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back