Torque Cars

FreeLander Sport larger tyres?

Discussion in '4x4 Owners club (off roaders)' started by RobBentley, 19 March 2009.

1. RobBentley

RobBentley The Torque Meister

Kent, UK
    Car:
    Audi RS6 C6 Saloon
    Hi All.

I have a FreeLander Sport Premium '04 TD4 Auto. Out of the factory its shipped with 18" Alloys wearing 235/50/18 tyres. The tyres I want to fit to it only come in 235/55/18 - which is a real pain.

Other than the obvious rolling radius change throwing the speedo out.. can anybody see any reasons why fitting 55 profile tyres would be a bad idea?

Cheers,

2. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Not really its not that big a difference. The suspension will be very slightly out of alignment but I would guess this is still well within tolerances. If you were fussy you could get them to do a full wheel alignment for you.

(Don't forget the spare as well though if you buy a set, and will this fit in the spare wheel holder on the back;))

The other thing is that you will have lower road noise, more comfort and slightly softer handling.

Check the clearance and as long as its not been lowered you should be ok. Have a look in your handbook and you may well see the pressures for a number of different tyre sizes.

If in doubt check with the fitter before you get them and then if you weren't happy with them you could take them back.

3. RobBentley

Kent, UK
    Car:
    Audi RS6 C6 Saloon
    Its not been 'lowered' by me... but of course the 'Sport' is lowered by 30mm from factory and comes wearing these 235/50/18 wheels and tyres.

Holder on the back door won't be a problem. Its not a holder of any sort. Simply 3 wheel bolts hold it to the door, so you could quite easily carry a truck tyre if the stud pattern was the same.

4. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    What is the gap between the top of the tyre and bottom of the arches?

5. RobBentley

Kent, UK
    Car:
    Audi RS6 C6 Saloon
    *runs outside with a tape measure*

6. RobBentley

Kent, UK
    Car:
    Audi RS6 C6 Saloon
    13cm at the front
    11cm at the rear

7. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    should be alright 5% difference of 235 is 11.75 mm. so over all the wheel/tyre diameter will increase by just shy of an inch

8. pob1342

pob1342 New member

Thanet Kent
    Car:
    i suggest you check the clearance around the tyre in the wheel arch remember when you brake weight transfers to the front thus "lowering" temporarily the vehicle so the tyres could rub in the wheel arches.

as for mounting a truck tyre on the back i would be careful as you would probably leave the door behind when you pull away LOL.:lol:

9. joshtimber

joshtimber New member

Minneapolis
    Car:
    Kia Forte
    This sounds like a complicated work. Sorry I have never done this one.