Ford Fiesta X reg Petrol Fuel cut off

MaTroy23

Wrench Pro
Car
Volvo C70 SE 2.0 D
A friend of mine has just bought his first car which is a petrol, X reg, ford fiesta. The guy he bought it from said the fuel cut of had been replaced and now you have to turn the key to ignition position 2 and wait 5 seconds before starting the car. If you just try starting it the cut off doesn't allow fuel through and you have to press a little button in the passenger foot well by the wheel arch.

Is there a way of making this so it work as it should. For example. all the cars I have had the valve actuates when you open the door and you just get in and turn the key.

Anyone have any ideas as apparently sometimes its not working even when he does wait 5 seconds. (you can hear it work so he knows when hes done it right)

I am wondering the same. Unfortunately I am a far better theorist than I am mechanic.
It's part of the safety system. The idea being that in the event of an impact the fuel supply is cut in order to mitigate against the risk of fire.
Come on folks - let's get some opinions and help please !!!!

Is the fuel filter flowing correctly? Take it out and see what sort of condition it is in. There could possibly be an issue with the fuel pump if it's not priming with the correct pressure.

Does the engine have any flat spots when it's running at high rpm and heavy load?

This doesn't sound like it has been fixed correctly or they've used the wrong part to my mind.

ill have a look next time i am there. my thought is this though
if all the cars i have had seem to actuate the fuel cut off valve when you open the car and with his you have to put it to ignition position 2 before it actuates. would that suggest that it is not wired up correctly.

like for example its on ignition live and not permanent live? although i get that if it was on permanent live it would never disengage, but you see what I mean?

Perhaps that's where the problem lies. Do these fiestas have a micro switch in the door? Cause on my Leon the micro switch controls the pumps priming function.

Perhaps that's where the problem lies. Do these fiestas have a micro switch in the door? Cause on my Leon the micro switch controls the pumps priming function.
This sounds like my problem
Is there a chance that this micro switch (if it has one) has packed up and its been re wired. The guy he bought the car from dosent know anything about cars and had his brother in law who works in a garage do the work. I am not nocking the mechanics work, there are bad mechanics working in respected garages and there are really good home mechanics.

But this micro switch does sound like what I am thinking of. Not that I am in any way an expert, that is why I am here asking for help :D

The easiest way to tell if it has a microswitch is do the interior lights come on when the car is unlocked via the key fob, or when the door is opened? If they come on via the key fob there is a chance this could be the problem (can't say for definite cause I'm not familiar with this fiesta!) But as I say this is how my Leon works and it's on a x plate also

The easiest way to tell if it has a microswitch is do the interior lights come on when the car is unlocked via the key fob, or when the door is opened? If they come on via the key fob there is a chance this could be the problem (can't say for definite cause I'm not familiar with this fiesta!) But as I say this is how my Leon works and it's on a x plate also

Funny you should mention that! the interior light dosent work! I thought I may need a new bulb and payed no more attention to it than that lol

It has central locking but does not have remote locking. Another problem is that you can lock the car from the drivers side and it locks all the doors (its a 5 door) but you have to unlock it from the passenger side. I was going to sort these issues out with him but thought id tackle one thing at a time. unless they are all connected

Last edited:
ok so I have checked all the fuses and they are ok. I replaced his interior light bulb and now the light comes on via the switch inside but not when you open the door. This makes me think that the switch in the door is faulty. If the switch didn't work this could explain why the fuel cut of valve doesn't actuate when you open the door?

What do you think?

ok so my mate spoke to the guy he got the car from about it and apparently he had a fuel injector replaced and its been like this ever since. how could replacing a fuel injector mean that now he has to turn the key to ignition 2 and wait a few seconds for the pump?

Not sure buddy, but from my experience you service all the injectors or change them all at the same time as there is a possibility that the flow rates will vary and the ECU will not like that.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back