flames

joshy1991

Torque Junkie
Car
nissan 200sx s14a
hi guys

got a question . i have a automatic 106 1.4 zest 2. 98 .

my question is that ive changed the exhaust to having a 4inch jap can and no centre silencer. the cat is still on the car though. should it be putting out 5inch flames out the back box when i rev it in neutral. it doesnt do it every time i rev it. it doesnt it like 3 or 4 times and not in a row either. i love the fact it puts flames out but do u guys no any reason as to why it would. ive recently replaced the ht leads cos my old ones were rusty and ive recently changed the air filter . both of those replacements were for standard replacements not upgrade

cheers

It should not be spitting out flames from the tailpipe. Sounds as if there's a large amount of unburned fuel going down the pipe. This will wreck the cat in no time at all.

What is the performance like? I imagine it must feel totally spineless and lethargic - the general idea is to burn the fuel/air mixture in the engine, not outside of it in the exhaust.

well i think the cat is wrecked already lol. and it seems fine on the performance level but then i havnt noticed any difference

with hdi
i should never spit flames out
there has got to be loads of unburnt fuel i would get that checked out before it damaged the engine

well my car has always used a huge amount of fuel even before it spat the flames, and the flames have varied in size cos i went with one mate who said they were 11 inches and then i went with another mate and i got him to rev it for me and they were like 6 but when i got the second mate to do it they werent leaving the tailpipe . whereas my first mate said they were coming rite out of the tailpipe. also the flames shouldnt get sucked back in ? am i right,

Running rich causes massive soot build up, carbon deposits build up and these create hot spots in the cylinders and can lead to premature ignition.

Sooty plugs can also cause misfires.

i had a mate with a mk2 golf that was chucking HUGE flames out of the exhaust on fast gear changes. he thought it was the coolest thing in the world, until i pointed out it was probably killing his engine!

get your car sorted, " its always run really rich" should read " iv not bothered my arse to fix it"!

when you have a car with an engine that does this as an uncontrollable side effect of the massive power its running, then fair enough. until then you will just look like a dick in a 106 thats trying to be cool!
sorry to be harsh, but thats the honest truth.