Fixed pot holes need reparing again

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Im annoyed at the waste of tax in repairing the roads.

There are now potholes around potholes that have been fixed recently. Surely if they fixed the road properly in the first place it would have been cheaper that all this patching.

Ive noticed that the white lines appear around potholes as tighly as possible and if the road is cracked nearby this gets ignored. Invariably a few weeks later another pothole appears on the cracked road after the first pot hole is repaired.

I know stripping and resurfacing a road is expensive but isnt repeated patching of the same bit just as expensive in the long term?

the govt allocated £100 million to help fix the roads, now this sounds alot but recently our council roads were recently checked. to repair to a basic standard would cost £105 million alone
close to £6 million needs to be spent on our roads every year just to keep them in the state that there are currently in

http://www.dgstandard.co.uk/2010/05...oway-s-crumbling-road-network-51311-26391934/

yes fixing the road properly would be a good idea but its the money involved and the fact that were soooooooo much in debt just now

Good News for me, The road outside my work is full of pot holes .... Today they closed it and ripping up and re taring the whole road :p

Now I'm going to watch it and see how long it takes for potholes to re appear!

the govt allocated £100 million to help fix the roads, now this sounds alot but recently our council roads were recently checked. to repair to a basic standard would cost £105 million alone
close to £6 million needs to be spent on our roads every year just to keep them in the state that there are currently in

http://www.dgstandard.co.uk/2010/05...oway-s-crumbling-road-network-51311-26391934/

yes fixing the road properly would be a good idea but its the money involved and the fact that were soooooooo much in debt just now

If only it was that cheap! the £6m was for Dumfries and Galloway ONLY :-(

Im annoyed at the waste of tax in repairing the roads.

There are now potholes around potholes that have been fixed recently. Surely if they fixed the road properly in the first place it would have been cheaper that all this patching.

Ive noticed that the white lines appear around potholes as tighly as possible and if the road is cracked nearby this gets ignored. Invariably a few weeks later another pothole appears on the cracked road after the first pot hole is repaired.

I know stripping and resurfacing a road is expensive but isnt repeated patching of the same bit just as expensive in the long term?

I would LOVE to fix the roads properly, but none of us would want to pay taxes to do it!

What looks like a waste money is often a temporary safety repair (to try to save your alloys). These temp repairs are then re-programmed for a permanent repair, but financial restraints and the shear number of holes can mean long delays before the work is carried out resulting in the temporary repair failing as you observed.

All roads have a limited lifespan. Ideally they should be resurfaced on a regular basis but the money has never been available to do this, so highway maintenance engineers spend their working lives trying to hold the carriageway fabric together with whatever resourses are made available. These resourses are never enough to keep the roads in the condition we would all like them to be in because we always vote for the politicians who promise to reduce our taxes.

Can't have it both ways. You get what you vote for chaps.

I have spent 39 years trying to hold the roads together but have only 16 working days left :) :) :)

sorry now, but come to ireland and then talk about bad rds,
i was in liverpool a few years ago and to be honest the rds in england are like the red carpet at the grammys compared to irish 1s

it cant be that bad where you are,

og: why dont the use concrete to surface the roads now? they seemed to used to use this on motorways (and it was bloody noisy) but havent seen this for ages?

Go to google maps and find "NG19 0HP".

That road identified is a private road. It's going to be resurfaced this year at a cost that is the better part of £8/sq. m.

og: why dont the use concrete to surface the roads now? they seemed to used to use this on motorways (and it was bloody noisy) but havent seen this for ages?

You can't surface blacktop roads with concrete. Blacktop roads are flexible and concrete isn't so a thin overlay would very quickly break away. To do it propery concrete has to be laid in quite thick layers in order to be able to install the reinforcing mesh. This would require a lot of excavation and would be very expensive.

One of the main long term problems with concrete roads (apart from the noise) is repairing damage. You can't just go in and slap some concrete in to a hole like you can bitumen with black top roads. Also, repairing cracked or subsided concrete slabs is expensive.

Not a council job :p

Think it works out to about £300 per residence. Which is pretty steep when you consider it's only just wide enough to get a delivery van down there.

As long as it is not being done by people wearing stetsons :) A cheap job can end up being very expensive.

the area at lesmahagow springs to mind. used to be a 'orrible bit of road for driving on but very little repair work done over the 20 odd years before it was replaced

As long as it is not being done by people wearing stetsons :) A cheap job can end up being very expensive.

We'll not know for sure until it's done!

I suspect that the person organising this got a list of reputable companies from somewhere though, he has contacts in all sorts of odd places. Plus his wife works for the council (they carry a list locally as well).

Locally it looks like contractors have just been given the remit to go round and fix whatever they find. I wonder if a few are abusing this and only repairing small areas of damage to get a subsequent call out for later repairs.

If only road tax went on our roads but I doubt we'd want to pay a higher VAT rate on everything else to make up for it.