Fixed my squeaky steering

Yugguy

Torque King
Car
Merc C220Cdi Elegan
I've had a squeak from the steering when turning, for a while now. Not related to power steering, or to engine temps. It didn't happen when cold but came on when the engine bay was warm or the outside air temp was warm.

Anyway to cut a long story short after a lot of research and listening, it was the suspension
strut top end, similar to what's described here.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/feb/06/news/ls-16001

I sprayed a MASSIVE amount of silicone lubricant into where the strut top end mount is in the engine bay, a black stretched plastic cone type thing, and this has solved the issue.

It was difficult to localise as the sound travelled down the strut so seemed first of all as if it was one of the bushes lower down.

Good to get done as although not serious it was spoiling the enjoyment of the car

Thought I'd post it for info, as it can happen on any car.

got told last night on another forum that this may be the exact problem with mine, tends to be noisy from the left wheel/strut/spring when going slow or parked then applying full lock to the left, mine is a creaky/squeeky noise

Thanks for the updates, these are helpful to others as we get lots of searches for similar problems on here.

Had the car out a few times today, no rain just hot sunshine, and no creaking or seeking. Got to check the brake pads tomorrow as I'm getting a 'warbling' sound from them so will have a look while the wheel is off and post any findings.