first starts in the morning

prevtec

Pro Tuner
Car
prelude 2.2vtec jap
i see members having disscusions about whats best for starting your car fisrt thing in the morning, so heres whats best

look at it this way
what if i woke you from your sleep and asked you to run a mile as fast as you can straight away??
same thing with a car, its bad for you

when a car is fired up first thing, it revs at 1,500 rpm, and when its warmed, should be at 800 rpm
this is how a car wakes up ( in a sense )
us humans have a ceriel, cup of tea, coffee, or even a big greasy fry-up
whatever tickles your tastebuds, this is how we wake up
if we leave for work or whatever just as we wakeup, we feel awfull

why its important to leave a car warm up is
the oil in the sump hasent curculated the engine, so parts arent lubricated properly, this is why it revs high itself, to push the oil around the engine
that high rev actually pumps oil from the sump.

when everthing is lubricated, the oil has thinned out, reached its proper pressure and thats why the revs drop to 800 rpm, away you go

ask yourself this??
why does the engine change revs by itself
the answer is, thats its way of running normal
same thing when you have a cuppa, your ready and awake properly

so be kind to your engine, give it 5 mins in the morning before you drive it

Where you nicked all that lot from lol....:p:p:p I agree though I always let me car warm up a bit before driving...:D An I let it cool abit before switching it off.

Where you nicked all that lot from lol....:p:p:p I agree though I always let me car warm up a bit before driving...:D An I let it cool abit before switching it off.
thats good to leave it too, it leaves the oil from the top of the engine drain down to the bottom where it should be, im the same when in vtec
very important in turbo's so not to blow them = turbo timer:D:D

the engine high reving is the choke being on this is more to stop the engine stalling when its cold.

ill let mine idle for a minute while i get the radio on, windscreen cleared etc before driving off.
if your using the proper grade oil and engines in good nick it shouldnt take 5 mins for the oil to circulate.
letting it idle for a few mins isnt going to drain the oil out of the top of the engine, the oil pump is still running so oil will circulate around the engine itself.
because the engine is at lower revs and there is less fuel being used the cumbustion temps are lower therefore the oil can cool back down.

turbo times are a wate of time unless your racing the car, idleing for a minute or 2 will drop my temp from 200F to 180F (normal operating temp) unless im hammering the car seriously then it rarly goes above the 200F mark. even driving through the town lowers my oil temp quickly.

The car also attempts to warm up the catalyst as quickly as possible so it can start working efficiently. Diesel engines also have some clever start up helpers to reduce polution such as glow plugs.

Agreed with all of the above in principle. I generally allow 30 seconds for the oil to circulate and then I drive off. If the windscreen is misty I will hold the revs at 1500-2000 rpm so it warms up rather than just rely on idle.

If you are going on a long run you can get away with the idle warm up but if like most people it is just a short journey I'd warm the engine by working it.

Then when the engine is up to operating temperature you can start to drive it hard using the top 1/2 to 1/3 of the rev range.