Fiesta ST150 oil

bashkiren

Wrench Pro
Car
ford fiesta st150
Hi all,

I have a query!

my ST150, takes a little bit of oil every now and then. I try to check the level regularly, maybe every three days or so. there's no blue smoke, no loss in power, and no noises from the engine.

the car isn't driven hard at all, and I'm mostly on the freeway, roughly doing between 100 and 120 km/h.

the motor has just done over 120 000 kms, and I've had a service done at around 115 000 kms, abt 5 months ago.

I've tried checking online for any troubleshooting regarding this, but never come across anyone who has had this problem.

please assist with any suggestions!!

Exactly how much oil is "takes a little bit of oil every now and then" buddy?
Has this oil loss started recently or has it always done this?
Has the car been standing for a few hours before you check the level or have you just pulled up from a drive up the road?

Hi,

Many thanks for the response.

it takes maybe a 250ML every two weeks. its always done this, when I do check the oil, its early in the morning, usually after the car has stood overnight.

That does seem a tad high for the period that we are talking about in my opinion. If you can see no droplets of oil on the floor and no tell tale signs of smoke out of the exhaust pipe, then I would have to put it down to your engine just being thirsty.
Some cars are oil hungry by the very nature of the design. As the car is a performance car do you drive it like it was meant to be driven or do you drive more sedately? I would also be inclined (I assume you have not done this) to take a good look around your engine for any signs of weeping gaskets. If the engine is dirty then have it steam cleaned to make any oil leak detection easier to spot.

Hi,

the car is never driven hard, we are in traffic mostly, and on the freeway, usually not over the speed limit. my average fuel consumption is 8.0/100 Kms.

I have checked the engine bay, and underneath, there's no sign of any leaks or any "weeping" gaskets.

maybe the car is a bit "more thirsty" than others.

but it depends, coz I bought the car second hand, when it had roughly 98000 kms on the odo.

What temperatures are you driving in in Durban? Google says you are currently 30 degrees "C" If it is very warm (This is very warm to us in the UK) then this will play a part in oil consumption.

Lol....

the temp now, in February, ranges from 30 to 35 degrees Celsius! (betw. 86 and 104 deg. Fahrenheit) add 10 degrees for humidity... needless to say, we are melting! today is exceptionally hot, and humid.

I'm not sure whether this would also play a part in it. the last time I did a service, roughly 10 000 kms ago, I added an oil additive to the engine oil. apparently this additive increases durability and decreases wear within the motor. not sure how far this is true, my old man insisted I add this.

Well the additive (Whatever it is) is to all intents and purposes diluting the oil. Is the additive ok to use in your particular engine and with your type of oil i.e. mineral or synthetic? There are many many additives on the market and they all have a role to play depending on what the additive was designed for.

I'm not really sure abt that! maybe I should not have used an additive!

currently I use Castrol magnetec 5W30 in the car, my model is the one with the Duratec motor.

The other thing you need to explore is, is that the right type of oil for your engine with those high ambient temperatures in SA?
May be we can get some expert advice on this! @oilman

I really have no clue! the Ford techs here in SA really are of no help, they don't seem to know, all they tell me is to follow the owners manual.

Another problem that we have here in SA, is the lack of choice when it comes to putting in the right stuff for your vehicle.

anyone out there who can assist me further with this?

As the engine would normally use a 5w-30 over here, a 5w-40 or 10w-40 is probably the best choice for Durban. I don't know what is available in SA (I was concentrating more on surfing than cars when I was there), but something from a reputable company would be sensible.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim,

Many thanks!

I will have a look, maybe try the 5W40. I think we do get a Castrol 5W40 here in SA.

Was going to suggest what oil man has already said, thicker oil would be worth doing..

don't just top it up with the new grade oil, go for a full oil and oil filter change and let us know how you get on

Yes I been on the Castrol SA website, they recommend either 5W30 or 5W40.

going to have to do a full oil change, as you've suggested. I will let you guys know regarding progress...

guys, I cannot stress my appreciation for your assistance.

thank you!!

Hi Guys...

update from the above.

I've changed the oil to the 5W 40 grade... actually seems much better.... Castrol Magnetec...

i'll run it for a few hundred kms and update as we go...

Hi guys!

Update!

you wouldn't believe the difference with the car, now that I've changed the oil to the 5W40, instead of the normal 5W30...

the motor has quietened down considerably, on the motorway, all you hear is the exhaust. the car also seems to be much more responsive (not sure if it is, or I just feel this way!) but I have some piece of mind now.

thank you so much for your assistance. at least I now know who to come to.

regards,
Bashkiren

Is it the SAE 40 hot rating that's calmed things down or is it the fact that you've used a better oil regardless of its viscosity rating? Thicker - more viscous - is not automatically better.

I'd rather load in a litre or two between oil change intervals than run the engine with a non specific oil.

As Durban is a fair bit warmer than the UK, the engine is likely to be running warmer than a ST150 in the UK, so the oil is likely to be a little thinner, making a change to a thicker grade sensible. It's not often I hear of much oil consumption with the ST150, so I would assume that the oil is getting thinner in SA than in UK cars.

Cheers

Tim

Well, according to Castrol, their website suggests both 5W30, and 5W40 for the car.

I've always used Castrol oils, even in my Cooper S. if you check oilman's response further up the page, it made total sense to me that the difference in temp here in SA, as compared to the UK, should play a major factor in the determination of the oil grade used.

I don't know really, I'm not a petrol head like you guys, that's why I asked the question on here. as I've said before, the "professionals" here in SA, are really hopeless and offer no real help.