Wakaas

Car
punto mk2 1.2 8v
Hi everyone

I have joined this site as i was wanting some help and advice on turbocharging my fiat punto mk2 1.2. I understand that it isnt something that is usually done which is why i want to do it, i'm looking at using a ej20 turbo and really just want help and advice on what to do or where to go to get it done

Greetings and welcome to our TorqueCars forum my friend :)

I appreciate that you feel you would like to do a turbo conversion on this car, but it really would be a wallet opener for very little gain on a 1.2 litre I'm afraid. A quick Google search brings up turbo conversions for your car on You Tube. Have a quick look there and see if the idea still has merit for you.
Good luck |B

Hello and welcome!

An EJ20 turbo? From an Impreza? You may very well blow up a little engine like that, which is why it doesn't get done.

Of course if you are set on it it can be done (nearly anything can be done with enough money thrown at it). You will need to strengthen everything about the engine to be able to withstand the extra forces being applied. This will mean pistons, rods and various other bits being replaced with forged parts. Possibly the entire block being replaced.
The exhaust will need replacing with a unit that can house the turbo and all the bits around it will need strengthening.
The ECU will need to be replaced to one that can control your fueling and turbo pressure.
The wiring looms will need to be replaced to match that.
The fuel pump will also need attention so the injectors are able to get enough fuel.
The injectors will need an upgrade otherwise they won't be able to squirt enough fuel in to keep up with the extra air being forced in.
There will be more.....

And once you have spent thousands (and it will be thousands) of £'s getting that extra power from the fully forged engine you will need to work on the drive train. The gearbox may well be able to contain the extra torque but will the clutch?
You'll need to upgrade the brakes and suspension as well or you won't be able to go around corners. Or stop.

And after all that you won't see massive BHP/torque gains :(

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people modifying their cars, just be sure you know what you are letting yourself in for. Once you start on this route you can kiss goodbye to your bank balance :rofl:

You may want to start with a different car.

Last edited:
I understand that its a lot of power to put through a small engine but i dont want a turbo with very small gains, yes i know i wont achieve massive power but i know that the power is easily doubled with a conversion.

I have someone set to put in a standalone ecu and tune it for me and im in the process of getting a custom manifold built. The only issue is fuel injectors not sure where to go or which to get as no one makes performance ones for this car.

And gearbox as well as clutch from a 1.4 grande punto, coilovers added and im looking at brembo brakes preferably 4 piston but that might be overkill.

The only other option for me is engine swap and the main power boosting ones are a fiat coupe 20v turbo but buying that car with a decent engine is around £2000 and then its a 2.0L which is way too expensive on insurance for me.

But i am dead set on making this car more respectable in the performance department, i have put a lot of time into research but this is the first forum im on, i would prefer a engine swap thats already got a turbo but would need to be 1.6 or below

Thank you though for the input

im looking at brembo brakes preferably 4 piston but that might be overkill
No such thing as overkill when it comes to brakes!
which is way too expensive on insurance for me.
Modifying your car will also hit you on insurance. Unless you don't declare. But if you go down that route be prepared to have your insurance voided if you ever have a crash :(

However your list looks impressive and I look forward to seeing your results :)

I read that your insurance company cannot absolve themselves from their responsibility for claims made by a third party because you modified your car and did not inform them. They may not cover the damage done to your car but third party claims by law must be covered. Is there an insurance lawyer in the house?

Is there an insurance lawyer in the house?
I'm not a lawyer, but dealing with car insurance claims is my job ;)

I read that your insurance company cannot absolve themselves from their responsibility for claims made by a third party because you modified your car and did not inform them. They may not cover the damage done to your car but third party claims by law must be covered.
RTA act means any innocent third party will be paid out, but the policyholder will not get anything, will have cover voided from inception and may face police prosecution for driving without insurance (I have customers who have had this happen to them).

Hello and a very warm, if a little late, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin! Really nice to have you along.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Hello again sorry for the late update for anyone who is watching the thread

Due to certain issues thanks to the amazing designers of fiat engines i have decided on a engine swap to a toyota starlet 1.3 non turbo engine in the coming months.

Please correct me if im wrong but i would need custom driveshaft, custom engine mounts, standalone ecu, of course the starlet engine gearbox and its auxilliries but anythin else? Apart from uprated brakes?

Turbo first tho on low boost just for fun until engine blows then i can get it forged

Just a thought if you wanna put a turbo on the engine you have now how many miles has it done and what does it rev to?

I mean an ej20 is a little bit overkill even for a forged rebuild. I think a T3/T4 would suit you just fine even once it's forged. But hey this ain't my project It's yours and thats what car a enthusiast are about [experiment failer and success]

I still dream of the days I get a Supra ;) I can't wait to see my bank balance always less then £1000 when that day comes :woot:

I have re-evaluated the situation im using a turbo from a 1.9 grande punto so no where near as powerful but will still give me twice the stock power or more

Just a thought if you wanna put a turbo on the engine you have now how many miles has it done and what does it rev to?

I mean an ej20 is a little bit overkill even for a forged rebuild. I think a T3/T4 would suit you just fine even once it's forged. But hey this ain't my project It's yours and thats what car a enthusiast are about [experiment failer and success]

I still dream of the days I get a Supra ;) I can't wait to see my bank balance always less then £1000 when that day comes :woot:
Ha ha - there's one thing I can personally vouch for: with a Supra you have to shut your eyes when it comes to fuel economy: when I stand at the pump for several hours pouring in another £92 to see me another 150 - 250 miles, I have to power down my brain for a while :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back