Faster than you'd think

My old ZS180 had a 0-60 of 7.3 which for when it came out, 2001 I think, was pretty good for the size of the car.

That's about what my car does. I haven't done any 0-60 runs in a while though and I did some changes to the exhaust. But the neighbors probably won't like it when I do 0-60 runs on the road outside with the stinger installed

A lot of the newer 170bhp plus diesels feel a lot quicker than the stats would indicate, probably due to the earth rotating swell of torque they offer.

Yes, I agree. To a point. They can also let you down massively as the swell of torque is not dissimilar to a 4.0 petrol NA engine. The difference is that the diesel output dies away as revs rise rather than pulling strongly all the way through the rev range.

The Dodge Neon is a sleeper car that is very moddable. My brother-in-law has a Neon 2.4L that he slapped a big turbo on, bolted the head and did a few other things to and it goes like a bat out of hell. It has some crazy pull, but on the outside (as long as it's not running- it is VERY loud with the straight pipe coming out of the side of the car) it doesn't look like much.

If cars that have been tuned count then I've got to come back to the Nissan Stagea ( ok I am just a tad biased.)

Looks pretty normal but I think it's fair to say that it is a bit of a sleeper.

Personally I don't think 0-60 tells you much - something like 30-130mph is a much better indication

Time for the green one 12.1 seconds ( using v box)

But it shows performance of the engine and drive train only and leaves out aero from the equation. Aero drag isn't really a consideration below 60 mph

It is also open to manufacturers of cars to alter gearing and tune characteristic to give an impressive 0-60 on paper. 60-90 in the same time as 0-60 would suggest a car that is lively.

absolutely you can , and manufacturers do design a car to have a relatively fast 0-60 but you cant do that with 30-130 and besides 0-60 is is fractions of a second so much is how it gets off the line

And the car is being timed so drag is definately relevant.

No, it's not. Aero drag is negligible below 60 MPH. It's just physics, aero drag just is not a part of the 0-60 equation.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/tool-aer...asiticOverhead=0&rho=1.225&FromToStep=5-200-5

You'll see that aero drag and rolling resistance are equal at about 40 MPH. 13.59HP is all that's required to drive this car (mine) through the air at 60 MPH, 69% of that is to overcome aero drag. That's what I mean by negligible. Up to 40MPH it's hardly enough to notice, from 40-60 it's there but not a significant issue. I have an app (Torque) that measures your torque and HP at the wheels and I'll do some tests on the highway to test this. From what I remember, it's about right because it really doesn't take a whole lot to keep my velocity at 60 MPH.

That's why 0-60 times aren't really effected by aero, it's all about the engine ad drivetrain. up to 40 MPH aero drag is almost non-existent, from 40-60 it is isn't much.

I wish I could test this- I'll bet 0-60 times are within 1% if your car is in regular trim, or if windows are open or if you had a huge board sticking straight up from the rear end, a huge wing installed or a tiny spoiler, trunk open or anything else.

No, it's not. Aero drag is negligible below 60 MPH. It's just physics, aero drag just is not a part of the 0-60 equation.

I suspect youve read my post wrong - I was not talking about 0-60 - this isnt a 0-60 thread.

Its an overall speed thread and 30-130 (or similar) is a far better indicator of a fast car and in this stat drag does have some bearing on the result. Thats why drag is rellevant to fast cars - they go more than 60 mph

It s true that in the real world 0-60 is hyped up as the be all and end all but it honestly isnt.
The manufacturers know this as well but are happy to use the 0-60 time but only after they have designed their cars with this stat in mind.

Before anyone takes issue about that statement Ive been to the secret nissan UK project and design centre in london and spoken to the guys who actually design the cars from scratch. Detail is everytging , nothing is left to chance because they know that like it or not stats do sell cars.
They openly say 0-60 is a selling stat so cars are geared to produce these figures not 0-50 or 0-70
Its the same with mpg at certain speeds . The goverment brought out the criteria and the manufactures now design the cars for the stats.