Fabricating 6x9's Into The Parcel Shelf

aswearing

Torque Master
Car
Micra 160sr
I have rescued a pair of very expensive and decent 6x9 speakers, and i'm going to put them into the new car. But, i'm wanting to do this in a subtle way, sophisticated if you like.

Just so they're not abvious they are in place. I have already set them into MDF ovals that are covered in Faux black leather (This was for them to fit properly in my other car) and was considering covering the speakers with and old pair of black tights - not because i'm mental, i've just lost the front detachable plates for them. (same principle as what alot of people did to their rear lights to darken them cheaply)

Does anyone have any ideas or experience on how i can incorporate them into the parcel shelf - i.e. position, how to make them less conspicuous etc.

Thanks

Haha lets just say i went through great trouble to obtain them :lol:

They aren't over the top and offer decent quality sound without too much bass. Just wanted to be abit more creative than just going for the standard drilling into the parcel shelf.

What do you think of: building a very small enclosure, just so that it angles the speaker towards the front of the car - then drilling ports in the parcel shelf under the enclosure? It's kind of weird explaining, but i hope you get the drift haha

fiberglass then in. try and get another parcel shelf to do them on.

cut out holes and make templetes form MDF and glue these where you want them. stretch some fleece over the whole shelf and soak in resin. once dry put on a couple of layers of fiberglass mat allow to dry and carpet, or smooth and paint.

afternoons work and possible £40 worth of materials

Sounds like a plan, i think im preferring the idea of positioning the speakers toward the front of the car, possibley at an inward angle.

when i get on this i'll post it as a project haha

easy enough to do some wood to make the tempates and some offcuts to help make the enclosure ( youll need to stretch the fleece over something if you want them pointing directly at the front ), or some bendy mdf sheeting.

carpeting is definitely easier and covers more defects rather than needing to fill and smooth

It's easy to do this lol. I have done it about 4 times now. Cut the 6x9 holes for the speakers, and simply use long bolts and a few nuts and this allows you to lower the speaker under the parcel to whatever spacing you want. You can even just have you speakers hang there, but it's better to use iirc 32 nuts, so that 4 on each bolt for the 2 speakers. Then just run the acoustic carpet over the whole thing and hey presto, completly smooth looking parcel shelf with ya 6x9's hidin underneith ;)