Eunos misfire around 2000 rpm

stevestafford

Car
mazda mx5 eunos mk1
Hi, recently bought a 1989 Eunos, nice little car which was imported in 2003 so the underneath doesn't look too rusty.
Had a misfire so have changed leads + plugs, fine now.
I'm 60 years old and bought this after writing off my BMW 320d Touring in the wet. Previous car to that was a Lotus ELan SE M100
I had to sell the Lotus as I kept driving it too fast and the brakes weren't very good.
So, I'm not interested in more power for the MX5, it's just nice to have some open top motoring again.

Just one thing bugging me at the moment is some uneven running of the engine at around 2000 rpm. At this engine speed the engine doesn't run as smooth as it does at higher revs, the tickover is fine and smooth.
I did drive one other MX5 Eunos of similiar age before I bought this one and it seemed a lot smoother, especially at low revs and pulling away.
Would a problem or and adjustment show up on a diagnostic test?
Steve.

Re: New member

Hi there and may I wish you a warm welcome to TorqueCars, it is a pleasure to meet you.

A friend had similar issues on his, eventually his catalyst went. He replaced the lambda coil and MAF which solved the problem. I'm sure it was only one of those but he didn't want to mess around as he needed the car for work.

It did pass a lambda test and nothing showed up on a diagnostic at Mazda either!

You'll find us a pretty friendly bunch and I'm sure you'll start to love and enjoy the forums as much as we all do.

Feel free to get involved in our other threads, all opinions are welcome and as they say "the more the merrier"!