engine mount

Which mount, there's four of them ? Engine front and rear are simple, juggle the engine to a point where the bolt extracts straight. The G/box one is the same.
That leaves the engine top mount which is a doddle really. Undo and remove the large nut and washer at the rear. Remove the two small front nuts & washers. At this point the engine needs to be raised slightly to keep the bolt on a level plain.
It is preferable to use either an engine hoist or a strut beam.
However, if you must 'jack' the engine, DO NOT jack the centre of the sump. The clearance between sump and oil pick up strainer is very limited. The mesh on the strainer is very good but will not handle a sump being wedged into it. Many an engine has lost it's bottom end due to oil starvation from this, you have been warned.
So, if you must jack the engine follow this procedure and only do it for as minimal time as is required.
Undo and remove the 3 x nuts & washers. Place a piece of soft wood [ 2" x 2" x 1" will suffice] on the jack and locate the section of the sump at the drain plug. This part is pre-formed and reasonably strong, with the sump plug in place too, it will take the pain.
Raise the jack gently until the bolt through the top mount levels and remove it. If you look at the threaded portion of the bolt, you will see a slight taper, it may be necessary to tap this to free it from the inner of the mount. You will not need to beat the hell out of it.
Replacement is obviously a reverse procedure but sometimes a little patience is required when getting the two front bolt holes aligned with the front studs.
It has taken me longer to write this than it would to do the job.
Have fun.
If this wasn't the mount you referred to, it should give you enough insight to solve the problem anyway.
Caution with the sump !!!!!!!!!!

p.s. Obviously you will need to remove the inter cooler flexi pipe from the steel pipe and gently persuade it out of the way if your GTO is a T.T.

Last edited:
thanks mate/good to hear from you
ive got front mount off and im on the bracket now
just had to order some more tools for the nut that is behind the pulley
ps its all so i can change cylinder head
:eek: