engine modding

Van

Car
Perodua Myvi
Hi guys,
I'm currently driving a Perodua Myvi aka Daihatsu Boon/Sirion or Toyota Passo. the engine code is K3-VE - a 1300 cc 16v doch engine. i'm thinking of getting the engine taken apart and changing the piston rings and seals as its clocking 180,000km on the ODO. The auto tranny is giving some issues as well on the reverse gear and the OD. the reverse gear engages after a few seconds and gives a jolt while sometime the OD kicks on/off without me pressing the OD to off/on. when it comes on/off, i'll stop the car and switch off/on the ignition twice and it'll be ok...found a recond gearbox which soon will be fitting it in. about the engine..is it wise to get a full engine balance job which includes port polishing the head, 3 angle valve job and a crank balance job? - i'm also looking at to Bolt on the turbo kit from the K3-VET engine which some of us have done. awaiting your replies/comments

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!

Good luck buddy! :)

If you want to have a reliable modified engine with the miles your car has I would say do it once and do it right = a full rebuild with forged rods & pistons as you are turboing it and a fully balanced bottom end,check the oil pump for wear, fully reco the head and ensure the surface finish is correct for a mls gasket .You will almost certainly need larger injectors as you don't want to have them flowing more than 80-85 % of their maximum @ WOT ,2.5-3 inch exhaust and an aftermarket computer. Been there done that.
PS suggest you also log on to motormans site for more info http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm.
PPS use a dedicated RUNNINNG IN|BREAK IN OIL and do not baby as per the manufacturers handbook as the only metal to metal contact is the rings and they need gas pressure behind the rings to expand them to bed in to the bores

Last edited:
hey TCJBOLDIE, thanks for the advise buddy. here are some ideas and parts which i'll be using/thinking of using for the mods.
1.pistons from Daihatsu YRV - low comp pistons
2.might use the rods from the YRV as well or some forged ones
3.port & polish the head
4.i'm trying to get my engine block fully balaced but need check on my pocket first on that
5.injectors will be from the daihatsu YRV (without return line, with walbro fuel pump)or the Mitsu 4G93T (with a return line and a walbro fuel pump) which some are using them with the same mods.
6.GReddy emanage blue for the ecu
custom turbo banana with a td04l turbine from a subaru and 2.5" ezhaust piping.
7. need to mod the oil pan for a return oil line from the turbine

Not familiar with your car and model But I highly recommend FORGED PISTONS as they are stronger and will stand boost pressures way better than factory pistons if they are cast items.
IF you take shortcuts and do it on the cheap it will most likely end up costing more than if you had waited and saved more to do it properly in the first place which in my opinion is important when adding boost as if say you have 8-1 static comp ratio when you add 10 psi the actual CR may be as high as 14-1 (just my 2 cents worth and I will check re the CR )
I was close http://www.oocities.org/motorcity/speedway/1080/addturbosupercharger.html
The motor doesn't know if a turbo or supercharger is producing boost.

Last edited:
Remember that the turbo oil return (suggest a minimun 1/2 inch or 12 mm ID hi temperature hose) to the sump/oilpan MUST be ABOVE the oil fill level and as straight as possible as it is gravity drainage.
If you are using a plain bearing turbo DO NOT use the latest spec oil as they do not contain enough ZZDP Some more good info in here http://store.forcedperformance.net/...Performance Recommendations for Motor Oil.pdf

fully done my engine now and also a stage 2 cylinder head cnc intake and ezhaust ported and polish.. fitted an open pod filter, ezhaust still stock..i have good pick up now but i cant get much top speed...my rpm easily hits the red line but i dont feel the car going..is it because its over ported/polished and i'm still on stock ezhaust and do i need an E-Manage to set the air and fueling? anyone can help me out here guys. thanks in advance

i have good pick up now but i cant get much top speed...my rpm easily hits the red line but i dont feel the car going..is it because its over ported/polished

I have seen some instances on here where having the cylinder head over ported etc has actually reduced power developed by the engine. This is a science and you can't just go at it with tools without having certain skills.
Hopefully somebody with a greater grasp of these things will be able to guide you further.

Good luck buddy.