Engine build

justinsg

Car
1997 Jetta 2.0L gas
So My chance of find a VR6 in my city went threw he drain quickly considering the closest VR6 engine to me was Saskatchewan. So I found a DOHC,VR-6 head with a total of 4 valves per cylinder. This would be the 3.2L or 3.6 fsi engine. So I found the head I always wanted, I found a Block, but does the block matter about how many valves, or does the block just need to be VR-6 block? I'm trying to build a 3.6L vr-6... from the ground up piece by piece.. The more info I tried to look up about building an engine, and specifically the VR-6 the more and more run around confusion there was.

Here's what I know.

For the 3.6L I want I need
A) I know i need a head which includes (your rockerarms, valves, camshaft)
B) I know you need a block.
C) connecting rods
D) pistons
E) Crankshaft

I want the motor to have power and reliability. What type of parts should I be looking for? Obviously at some point I'll have to bore the block out to to make it from a 3.2 to a 3.6. Which is about 5mm I believe? So the head is used, has about 24,000 kms on it... Should I re-do the valves, and valve springs, etc?

If everything goes right, I'm gonna have a 3.6L turbo/super driven by the belt, cold air, stage 5 racing clutch, straight pipe, exhaust headers, chipped, etc.

I'm hoping my baby will finally go fast then... What do ya'all think?

I'm kind of sceptical about the reliability you say you are looking for. I'm not sure that this mix n match assembly of components is going to be the best way to achieve it.

You could probably buy a second user BMW M3 or M5 for similar money as this whole project and get the durability and reliability of a proven design with Teutonic build quality as well.

I'm kind of sceptical about the reliability you say you are looking for. I'm not sure that this mix n match assembly of components is going to be the best way to achieve it.

You could probably buy a second user BMW M3 or M5 for similar money as this whole project and get the durability and reliability of a proven design with Teutonic build quality as well.

I need a motor that will fit in the front wheel drive of 1997 jetta. I dont want skeptical... I mean how else do people build motors... they buy parts and put them together then we spend over 2-3 maybe even 6-7 grand trying to buy them.... I'm just looking to get a motor that will last 20,000kms.... This isn;t a mix and match, everything is a Volkswagen built VR-6.... I just wanna know if there's a huge difference in a block design from a 12-24valve.

I think im gonna give it a shot the head is 24 valve VR-6. The block is a 3.2L block FOR a VR6. So from there I need connecting rods, crankshaft, pistons. Am i missing anything?

So I'm gonna say this once, if your not gonna provide help then DONT even bother.... If you want to be a critique that's fine put "Critique" in the first line! A vr-6 will fit in 1997 VW jetta, im pretty sure a straight six bwm wont... ? maybe, but with a vr6 it has the same sub frame and motor mounts, transmission bolts... it's really just an engine swap.

Would not waste time & $$$ overboring it 5mm ???as would almost certainly lead to problems. I am assuming that your car is front wheel drive so I would think that If you were to build a forged bottom end and bolt on a charger it would have more than enough power and that it would torque steer and change lanes without turning the steering wheel .
I would suggest that you add an LSD to your list as well .

Would not waste time & $$$ overboring it 5mm ???as would almost certainly lead to problems. I am assuming that your car is front wheel drive so I would think that If you were to build a forged bottom end and bolt on a charger it would have more than enough power and that it would torque steer and change lanes without turning the steering wheel .
I would suggest that you add an LSD to your list as well .

So your saying I should just stick with the 3.2L instead of boreing it into a 3.6? What exactly do you mean forged bottom end? we talking block, crankshaft, pistons, connecting rods? Or something else? whats a bolt on charger? like super? what do you mean torque steering (Obviously once you tune the performance that suspension and handling must get adjusted as well)? I know that build this 3.2L I will be able to put alot of boost in it, and I can also shoot it with a fair amount of nos.... How much im not sure, but the engine build I'm shooting for Some kind of strong pistons and connecting rods, and a crankshaft.... that way i know the engine can handle the force. We're as if I modify my old, I still got a crappy old 2.0L that has 122 hp.... big whoop im looking for 500....

I think im gonna give it a shot the head is 24 valve VR-6. The block is a 3.2L block FOR a VR6. So from there I need connecting rods, crankshaft, pistons. Am i missing anything?

So I'm gonna say this once, if your not gonna provide help then DONT even bother.... If you want to be a critique that's fine put "Critique" in the first line! A vr-6 will fit in 1997 VW jetta, im pretty sure a straight six bwm wont... ? maybe, but with a vr6 it has the same sub frame and motor mounts, transmission bolts... it's really just an engine swap.

You asked an open question!!! And I replied openly.

I was not suggesting trying to jam in a BMW engine. I was suggesting buying a car with the performance you want from the start, especially if you want reliability, which you clearly state as a priority.

I will say THIS once - if you want help and/or opinions but are going to be needlessly dismissive and arrogant towards those of us who say things you don't want to hear then don't bother posting anything at all.

I find you arrogant and rude in the extreme. I shall forgive you on the basis that you are clearly bereft of conscious thought.

Last edited:
You asked an open question!!! And I replied openly.

I was not suggesting trying to jam in a BMW engine. I was suggesting buying a car with the performance you want from the start, especially if you want reliability, which you clearly state as a priority.

I will say THIS once - if you want help and/or opinions but are going to be needlessly dismissive and arrogant towards those of us who say things you don't want to hear then don't bother posting anything at all.

I find you arrogant and rude in the extreme. I shall forgive you on the basis that you are clearly bereft of conscious thought.

Well sorry i didn't mean to make an offense... I've had like 3 new threads and endlessly the same people get side track, the main topic was building a motor, not buying a new car? Why would you do this when you could do that, why wouldn;t you just go get a "...." .... No offense a used bmw here is $5500... and its a 2001! buying a car here sucks, making it better is cheap.. And btw I really don;t mind criticism I find it good, it just lets me know what im getting into. But you say dismissive? Im pretty sure that all i get.. is dismissive arguments, like eh mate. shesh.. The main topic was engine build, I'm looking for help and I never get the proper answers just more or less the "steer clear" statement.. maybe i'll refresh this thread then.

I mean shesh I'm here looking for help and everytime i'm here i get criticized. and it's not like once or twice its like everytime.... i'm not here looking for emenies and what not I got enough of that as it is, and I just dont care, im looking for genuine help....... thats it.

Last edited:
So your saying I should just stick with the 3.2L instead of boreing it into a 3.6? What exactly do you mean forged bottom end? we talking block, crankshaft, pistons, connecting rods? Or something else? whats a bolt on charger? like super? what do you mean torque steering (Obviously once you tune the performance that suspension and handling must get adjusted as well)? I know that build this 3.2L I will be able to put alot of boost in it, and I can also shoot it with a fair amount of nos.... How much im not sure, but the engine build I'm shooting for Some kind of strong pistons and connecting rods, and a crankshaft.... that way i know the engine can handle the force. We're as if I modify my old, I still got a crappy old 2.0L that has 122 hp.... big whoop im looking for 500....

Mate From your questions it seems that you are new to the modification game OR a 15 year old schoolkid Be honest and tell us which one is you :confused:it will help with the kind of replies you get.
Charger = supercharger.
Cooler / IC = intercooler.
Rods = Conrods.
Forged bottom end = Forged pistons,forged rods AND crank if needed.
IMHO Upgraded suspension and brakes should be the FIRST MOD before increasing power.

PS hope you have deep pockets wanting to increase power 400%

PPS Torque steer is what happens in a WWD/FWD car when you hit the gas and the car changes lanes without you moving the steering wheel so by the sounds of it you are not an experienced driver and IF your project ever gets off the ground get some driving lessons IF you have a license all you were taught was how to pass the test NOT how to drive they are 2 entirely different things.

There are members here that have a wealth of knowledge and experience here and are more than willing to share that with you .

DO NOT TAKE WHAT I HAVE POSTED THE WRONG WAY I HAVE TRIED TO GIVE SENSIBLE ANSWERS/ADVICE

Last edited:
"I mean shesh I'm here looking for help and everytime i'm here i get criticized. and it's not like once or twice its like everytime.... i'm not here looking for emenies and what not I got enough of that as it is, and I just dont care, im looking for genuine help....... thats it."

In your opening post you used the words "What do ya'all think?"

It is an open question. So I, and others, told you what we think. It's not criticism. It free and yet very worthy advice.

I have a suggestion. Start your own private thread. Ask questions. And answer them yourself.

"I mean shesh I'm here looking for help and everytime i'm here i get criticized. and it's not like once or twice its like everytime.... i'm not here looking for emenies and what not I got enough of that as it is, and I just dont care, im looking for genuine help....... thats it."

In your opening post you used the words "What do ya'all think?"

It is an open question. So I, and others, told you what we think. It's not criticism. It free and yet very worthy advice.

I have a suggestion. Start your own private thread. Ask questions. And answer them yourself.

More than fair comment!!

I will try to be constructive.

First have you checked if you can just bore out the Vw block 5 mm - the block thickness may mean this isn't possible 5mm is an awful lot.
Second the head will need massive work because 5mm will make the combustion chambers the wrong shape and you will have raised the compression ratio to a level that I doubt it will be able to cope with especially if you are fitting a turbo.
If you want that many cc you may need a crankshaft with a different throw . Increasing the stroke and over boring it less would be a better way to go.

It is correct that 500bhp is possible with this engine but will cost many £££s (as in thousands)

Assuming you are seriously looking at this project you will also need........

A decent ecu that will need hardwiring and professional mapping (a wad of cash)
A very understanding insurance company ( or a shedload of more cash )
And that's on top of the first shedload of cash.
And did I mention the other shedload to uprate the rest of the car,
And for reference I have done something similar so I am qualified to judge ( feel free to
Look through my project thread which involves fitting a stroked racing engine that has been detned to 650ish so it spools up quickly )

Regarding the comments- first please note I have answered your question assuming you are serious
But before you complain about peoples replies you need to understand that we do get lots of kids with fantasy projects coming onto the forum and your post does sound a bit like
one .
Indicators are
Projects that wont work
Not understanding basic terms
Shocking spelling and grammar
And ranting when people make negative comments

But as I've said I have answered your questions

Last edited: