EML Update

aswearing

Torque Master
Car
Micra 160sr
i picked up my car from the dealer after he said he'd replaced the egr valve, but never mentioned a crankshaft sensor (which was shown on an independant diagnostics) and my car feels pants to drive, worse than before.

he said it would be longer due to the bulb being delivered but i needed my car for work so i picked it up early and said id fit the bulb myself. and i recently noticed my handbrake light no longer works!

so when the bulb is fitted i am taking the car for an independant diagnostics, having a printoff and taking it with when i take back to the dealer. i'll ask him to take the engine light off first of all (quick question: can the EML be reset on the ecu if there is still a faulty sensor?) and ask if they changed the crankshaft sensor, if they said it didnt need doing i have documented evidence.

getting quite fed up of this at the moment, and i'm at the point of getting the police involved aswel as trading standards, i need to work and its a major inconvenience.

I can imagine your frustration. I doubt if the Police will be able to do much but trading standards is a good bet. You might get your money back but that would leave you with no car.

The handbrake bulb could easily have gone.

If you reset a fault in the ECU the code/light will come back on as soon as the problem is picked up again.

it worked before i dropped it off, and i found my rear fog bulb on the floor of the car for some reason. to be fair i just want it sorting buti'm constantly being messed about.

i'm glad that the light comes straight back on because i know i need a new crankshaft sensor, which the dealer never mentioned. i know i'm treading on thin ice with the car being out of its warranty but the dealer was in the wrong selling me a car that was not in working condition.

at the moment i'm holding the dealer responsible for this mess, but he says that it's another garage which carries out the work. and conveniently he wont give me their name or phone number, which raises the question of whether the garage exists.

very frustrated and not sure exactly where i stand anymore. trading standards is really the last resort, but its worth mentioning it to him.

is there any guarantee that reconditioned parts will work?

You have the guy on side in the sense that he is not refusing to put right the problem. You do need to look objectively - when a garage have a car sometimes other things go or play up at the same time. My car went in for a service and came out with a sticky starter motor. I fix a friends printer on his computer and the DVD writer stops working! Stick to the big faults that were clearly there when the car was sold - if he fixes that all the other little things are down to experience.

Warrentee doesnt really come into it in my opinion. Anything that is sold must be as described and of merchantable quality. He knew that you knew about the engine warning light as you mentioned this to him before you bought the car.

Only threaten him if he starts refusing to put things right. Explain your frustration to him, calmly. Ask what he would do if he was in your situation. If he is using another garage for repairs then explain they are making him look bad and that perhaps he should proactively supervise them when working on your car. If he is becomming cagey say the last thing I want to do is bring in trading standards - I always try to give people a chance to fix problems first.

i know what you mean, he come across as a genuine bloke which is what frustrates me more. i put alot of trust into him and mentioned his garage to a few mates, and i feel let down that people can be like that considering what you do for them.

i still get the feeling that some dodgy is going on, and my cars service folde has disappeared from the glovebox.

when i take the car back it will be the 3rd time, and there are only so many times that you can give people chances (ask my partner, i'm on my final warning for talking about cars too much :p )