Emissions Nightmare

aworsley4

Tuner
Car
VW Polo 1.0L
Hello all once again. I am the proud (cough) owner of a 1.0L 6N Polo (1999). It has failed its MOT on emissions once again, despite havin a complete new cat+exhaust for its MOT last year and a dump load of cleaning products down its gullet. Was wondering if there are any common faults which could be causing this. Any help much appreciated.

The most common issue is a misfire spewing unburnt fuel into the catalyst or a tendency to run rich. Get the AFR/MAF sensor checked as well. Split leads, dirty plugs or a faulty coil can cause a misfire.

Does it do lots of short journeys and have you tried superunleaded? A motorway run with superunleaded at high rpm should help clean things up a bit.

Tend not to have this problem.

Go down your local drinker and find somone who does MOT's. Then get him drunk. Then Become his best mate, and volonteer to help him out when ever you can. Then hint that you need an MOT and emissions is a problem. That should sort you out! :cheesy:

Thanks but got it sorted, 2 an a half days labour, 2 new suspension units (complete), new headlights, wiring and indicators, plus cost of MOT. 390 quid lol. Its lucky I know the guy.

i think the first time he just put it straight in test without lettin it warm up first, plus he sealed a couple o gaps in exhaust

Sorry to disagree, but the reason you send your car up the motorway at high rpm before a emissions test is to get the catalyst very hot, super unleaded will have no effect unless the fuel supplier is running a detergent in the fuel, so save your money and stick to 95 unleaded.