Electronic Boost Controllers

BobSheeley

Car
Westfield XTR2 turb
I have a Westfield XTR2 with a turbo charged hayabusa engine in it. Its controlled via a Motec M800 ECU.

I want to install a boost controller to improve control over the boost pressure. As is the case so often you ask 5 people and get seven opions!!

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks.

Bob

What exactly are you asking mate? For recommendations? Apexi AVC-R is absolutely awesome. Holds boost very well, in-gear boost control and plenty of other features.

I'd imagine the Motec controls the boost very well??? Or did you want adjustable in-car?

Thanks for that.

I know it sounds pathetic, but I'm not really sure!!! Its a question of not knowing whats actually available. The car is a track only car.

I have a small turbo and so don't get really serious lag problems but I'm told that if a boost controller is used you can be sure that the waste gate is fully and definitely shut so boost builds more quickly.

The engine has been built strongly (turbo pistons, special con-rods, longer head and crank shaft bolts etc) and so can take a lot more boost.

The power that I have is fine in the wet but I will want to develop a second map for the dry, which you switch between with the Motec.

I'm also told that some boost controllers can be programmed to give more boost in the higher gears so that the acceleration is more linear through all the six gears, although don't really use first excepting for starting off.

I will google the Apexi and see what it does.

However, any suggestions of what could usfully be done would be gladly received.

Bob

One last point is that other than switching between maps I would not want switching in car as I would not have enough time to deal with all that and would probably end up crashing.

Bob

I have a small turbo and so don't get really serious lag problems but I'm told that if a boost controller is used you can be sure that the waste gate is fully and definitely shut so boost builds more quickly.

This is true. The wastegate usually only partially open or closed most of the time. A good boost controller will smooth out the boost flow and get rid of any overboost you may be experiencing. With an AVC-R you can expect boost to rise slightly quicker, and hold at the set point, perhaps even dropping off later than it would normally. Without decent boost control you may experience unsteady boost readings.

I'm also told that some boost controllers can be programmed to give more boost in the higher gears so that the acceleration is more linear through all the six gears, although don't really use first excepting for starting off.

The AVC-R allows you to do this very thing. I used to run 1bar max in 1st but 1.2bar otherwise, for example (FWD car).

To be completely frank it sounds like your car is ok as it is. I see too many people chasing phantom power gains and spending lots of money.

Get a rolling road session booked with someone that has the full diagnostics and see what the turbo,wastegate is doing. I'm guessing you will be pretty much fully open as it is. Unless you are hitting flat spots or getting lag.

I guess if you are using the car for competition then you want to squeeze out every last drop of power but even for a fun track day only car I think your money would be better spent on something else.

You're very welcome. You'll have to get your post count up to 10 and then post some pics for us in the gallery;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back