ecu remapping software

racingfreak

Car
audi
Which ecu remapping software do you use or suggest?
I found two freeware programs; ECUedit that seems to be only for Subaru and Mitsubishi cars and ECUflash that seems to be an application just for read/write not also modify.

I found two freeware programs; ECUedit that seems to be only for Subaru and Mitsubishi cars and ECUflash that seems to be an application just for read/write not also modify.

Be careful here - remapping an ECU is not as easy as you'd perhaps think it is.

Unless you have intimate knowledge of the input and control parameters then it's best left alone. Or, at least, left to those who have such inside information.

Having bought software to self-tune cars some years ago. I can tell you with some confidence that if it's free it ain't worth a hoot.

Having bought software to self-tune cars some years ago. I can tell you with some confidence that if it's free it ain't worth a hoot.

I agree completely. There's no such thing as a free lunch. It's likely to poison you.

You can also wind up with an unbootable ECU if you change the wrong parameters.

Or a destroyed engine.

Whoa:amazed:
I usualy read the question and then give an answer.
who does ask for advises???

Cars and its oboard electronics is not a rocket science. You can't destroy ECU or engine if you don't hit with the hammer on it.

Finaly if your changes are not good you can allways write the stock code to the eeprom chip. On the bootom end, you can't destroy the ECU, maybe just flash memory that is only a single 64K eeprom chip that cost less that a buck and can be replaced with some special soldering tool.

Engine can't be destroyed if you pay attantion to few important sensors reading as knock sensor and EGT are.

So please spere me with advises and answer the question.

Whoa:amazed:
I usualy read the question and then give an answer.
who does ask for advises???

Cars and its oboard electronics is not a rocket science. You can't destroy ECU or engine if you don't hit with the hammer on it.

Finaly if your changes are not good you can allways write the stock code to the eeprom chip. On the bootom end, you can't destroy the ECU, maybe just flash memory that is only a single 64K eeprom chip that cost less that a buck and can be replaced with some special soldering tool.

Engine can't be destroyed if you pay attantion to few important sensors reading as knock sensor and EGT are.

So please spere me with advises and answer the question.

If you know what you're doing then it's fine to alter the control parameters. But don't change the boot code

And where do you prove that free isn't worth a thing?
Can you maybe be more specific and list a few things that didn't work or wasn't good.

As far as it is all hardware interfaces are just a single 8bit MCU that converts electrical signals of two different communication protocols.
And software interface is just a few KB of source code, so no rocket science. So why some free ware program won't work. In computer programing it is so that it either work or doesn't work at all. There isn't a programs that work just half way.

Plus I never said that it should be a freeware program, I JUST AKS TO SUGGEST ME SOME GOOD REMAPING SOFTWARE!!!

Can you maybe be more specific and list a few things that didn't work or wasn't good.

As far as it is all hardware interfaces are just a single 8bit MCU that converts electrical signals of two different communication protocols.
And software interface is just a few KB of source code, so no rocket science. So why some free ware program won't work. In computer programing it is so that it either work or doesn't work at all. There isn't a programs that work just half way.

Plus I never said that it should be a freeware program, I JUST AKS TO SUGGEST ME SOME GOOD REMAPING SOFTWARE!!!

Modern ECUs are of 32 bit architecture. It's not the software you use to interface with the control data, it's the parameters you alter that might well cause problems. You can't just ramp up everything by 30% and expect a good and driveable result.

This is why I do not like plug in tuning boxes. They interfere with sensor telemetry.

On a public Forum one can ask a question and you normally get opinions. They may be right they may be wrong. It's not required for me or anyone to prove anything.
That is for you alone to decide. NOT TO CORRECT when ppl try to be helpful.

How can you expect ppl here to help you if YOU are not specific

You asked about tuning software.... For which make of car?

What year of manufacture?

Is it OBD 1 or OBD 2?

Do you want chip re-programming and replacement or.....
Do you want hand-held programmers type flash-tuning or software that you can down-load into a lap-top and to re-flash?

Which type of parameters do you wish to alter?

There are thousands.....
Fuelling, AFR, Ignition advance, Torque Management, Electric Fan Control, Injector Flow Rate, etc, etc.

It is not much help asking a question without knowing where you are and what you want to achieve with whichever type of car.

PCM's, ECU's and ECM's are not just 64bit or 32bit.

I have experience only with GM,GMC, Chevrolet & Pontiac controlled cars that have LS1-B, LS2, E40, E67, E38, T42 & T43 controllers.

The software for this is around $1,000 and is seriously sophisticated.

For example: www.efilive.com

OK so just let me explain that I don't treat myself as any kind of expert regarding a tunning process, on the contrary I have never seen a tunner from a close working with engine electronics.
I also know that when you want to make a useful remap you need a dyno and it is helpful if you even have exaust gas measuring tool. I also know that modern ECUs don't allow real time programing, (at least I read about that and it means that every modification that you make have to be written into flash and tested on dyno). It can takes a whole week to perform a custom chip tuning (by the words of my local tunner).
I aslo know that not all cars have EGT sensor that can be wery helpful determing the engine conditions and from my engineering education I also know that too lean mixture raises the EGT and can damage the piston rings.
My personal opinion about 32bit MCUs in ECU is that this is no more than exaggeration like everything in todays car industry. I used to program MCUs for industrial automatization and you can't believe how much can a single 8bit MCU perform in just a second, and BTW 32bit MCUs today cost nearly the same a 8bit, round few bucks!

I don't know much about engine tunning but I do know that ECU as electronic device can't be damaged if you flash it (unless it has a safety switch that locks it from irruption).

My interest in playing with maps intent to be only as a hobby and I don't mean to realy tune cars, except that I will have to test my mapping somwhere and that will be my second car that is Seat Leon 1.6 (I don't know if its ECU even has OBD flashing cabability).
But I think that if I also load a new and tested code (bought online from example UCABLES for 100$) to my A4 2.0TDI it can't kill it, or it can?

So I was thinking to buy a cheap Galletto ecu flasher but I will also need some software to play with maps. So please sugest on that one.

The other request is that if it is not to hard that someone can briefly explain or give an internet link to an explanation how exactly ECU even work. I know that it has a close and open loop mode, but I don't know if ECU determines outputs by including input data into equations or it simply search the output values from comparising inputs and outputs in the maps.

Last edited:
You asked about tuning software.... For which make of car?
I thought that merely remapping is quiet universall.
What year of manufacture?
2000+
Is it OBD 1 or OBD 2?
OBDII
Do you want chip re-programming and replacement or.....
Do you want hand-held programmers type flash-tuning or software that you can down-load into a lap-top and to re-flash?
I really don't wish to work physicaly with ICs on the circuit board, I preffer flashing method via OBD socket.
[/quote]
Ok thanks for that one I will have a lok at it.

Your post was held in the moderation queue as you have less than 10 posts and it contained a link.;)

Okay,

I'll try and answer each part of your post in turn.............

No you don't need a dyno to make a useful Timing Map or any VE (fuel mixture) Table, etc.
It is possible to for example study factory tune files and compare the "GT" versions of the tune files with the more mundane models tune files to see what parameters had been changed.
Going by the assumption that a any car company would not validate and release poor tune files for production, complete with in some cases 100,000 mile (160,000km) warranties.

Some tune files can be down-loaded from the net, depending on software tuning companies. EFILive.com provide a free tune file reposiory here for example:-
www.holdencrazy.com

The tuning software I have experience of, has an additional software package ("moates road-runner") that allows anyone with it to make changes to a cars computer as you drive in real-time.

If you don't have this particular option, with the efilive scan & tune software for instance, you can log as you drive, notice a parameter that needs changing, stop the car; make adjustments to the tune-file and flash it in. It takes 2 minutes to re-flash a tune.
Then you can re-start and go with the changes made and if necessary continue logging to see what effect the change may have made.

The only thing to bear in mind here is that changes to things like Long Term Fuel Trims and other some other parameters such as throttle cracker and follower to name just two, can take up to 100-150kms for any alteration to become effective in the tune.

You are able to short-cut the time some of the parameters take by doing a PCM re-set which sets things like fuel trims back at zero (The PCM stores fuel trim information and has an adaptive learning capability for a whole load of things.
THIS MAY NOT BE THE CASE FOR ALL TYPES OF PCM,ECM.
Though I'd imagine most work in a very similar fashion now.

Getting back to the real-time logging capability that some of these full software packages have. It allow you to fit a wide-band O2 sensor and feed the AFR information into the data-logger. This gives instantaneous AFR readings that you can bring up on the lap-top or store it in the "black-box" (along with more than 100 different parameters, such as Spark Advance, Throttle Position, ECT, IAT, Cylinder Airflow, MAP, Oil pressure, IAC counts, Commanded AFR, etc, etc) as these black-boxes can be fitted with an SD card (from 1Mb up-ward) to store all this info.
Then when you are finished you can just plug it into a lap-top, down-load it and do a playback.

Although AFR is adjusted in these software packages I am familiar with. Nothing beats a dyno with a 4 or 5-gas analyzer for best results.
Especially a dyno where you can additionally hold speed and vary loads to get part throttle tuning sorted and the great bonus of being able to find where MBT (Mean Best Timing) is for best torque production at WOT for instance (Wide Open throttle) which will keep you well away from the dreaded detonation.

(It's amazing how many people still believe "More timing is better so most timing is best.")

This is only a fraction of the information available.
If you have a particular make of car I'd have a try at googling "tuning software for XXXXX" or something like that. :)

Last edited:
More people are getting into remapping software. The best route for beginners is to buy a custom map and then flash it yourself using one of these flashing tools.

If you are prepared to go on a course and learn about engine maps then it can be quite rewarding but you still can't expect to do a job anywhere near as good as a professional company with a large R&D budget.

It would seem that the aim isnt to buy a pre sorted map from one of the many options outlined in this thread but to buy the software itself and do it personally................

Now I dont want to be picky but if anyone thinks that you can map a car with 8 bits as well as with 32 bits clearly do not understand how proper mapping works .So taking on custom mapping is not adviseable (IMHO)
Athough obviously you need the software it isnt the software that maps a car it is the tuner so getting the software can actually make things worse if the person remapping the car isnt completely aware of EVERYTHING.

A note on remaps bought through agents . These can give good results but this is oten because all stock maps are compromises on ,mpg , driveability power etc so it is relatively easy to make one better at the expense of one of the others.