Ecotek CB-26P Valve fitted

Overwrite

Car
A3 1.8T Quattro Spt
So, last Saturday I ordered myself an Ecotek CB-26P valve. Having read various reviews on the Ecotek site and other independent sites, I thought it might be worth spending the dosh if it saves me a few quid on petrol every month.

http://www.ecotekplc.com/cb-26p.htm

I bought the bundle pack which includes:
  • CB-26P Valve
  • PowerBoost (decoke in a can)
  • Ecotek100 (lube oil additive - 100% synthetic)
(The deal I got isn't on their site now but the total package including VAT and delivery was £64.74)

It arrived Thursday and I fitted the valve only. Having viewed the tuning video on their site and fully read the instructions, I was a little miffed that mine sounded different to theirs. I've tuned it a couple of times and feel that I have it now exactly how it should be although I do get a bit of a high pitch trumpet prior to the induction noise on overrun and a bit of a rattle which sounds like an old Fiesta exhaust :(

According to Ecotek, the trumpeting is normal when the valve seat is bedding in so I'll give it a couple of hundred miles and report back on that. I don't have the PiperX filter fitted. No real noticeable difference to performance and fuel economy.

Today, I used the PowerBoost and the Ecotek100. Now this has definitely made a difference. The throttle response has improved no end and performance at the low rev end of the scale is superb. I would thoroughly recommend this to everyone, new or old car.

I'd be interested if anyone else has used these products and what their experience has been.

yeah i noticed no difference to power or economy with the ecotec valve fitted the trumpet sound is normal and mine stayed even after 30k miles
it may also need adjusting every 10k miles or so you will know when the you hear it trumpeting at idle. the filter only only muffles the sound so it was given to a mate for his 306 as a oil breather as thats what it was originally designed for

never used the dechoke or lube on the civic and the ecotek valve is still sitting in my toolbox as theres no way it going in the bora

The valves are nonsense items in my opinion. They just bleed some extra air into the intake manifold under certain conditions. It may well have worked twenty years ago prior to the universal adoption of fuel injection and catalytic converters.

Basically they allow the fuel / air mixture ratio to be made leaner when the engine requires little or no fuel, such as under trailing throttle conditions (overrun).

Petrol cars with 3 way closed loop cats do not benefit at all as the O2 sensor causes the ECU to alter the mixture ratio to correct the imbalance. A lean mxiture will increase HC emissions and ultimately wreck the cat.

Even in the early 1980's there were mixture compensating devices fitted as standard even to such crude cars as SU carb fed Montegos. And, they did work. To a point. A point that the Ecotek could not improve upon. Even then!

As for the boost stuff, that's a different matter. It is an intensive detergent cleaner and had been shown to offer good results under tests with older and badly maintained cars.

Ecotek 100 is to be avoided in my opinion. Decent engine oil will stand up to usage between services without the addition of other additives.

Try AMSOIL if you want the very best of synthetic engine oils.

I used and rate the power boost spray. Especially on engines with over 50,000 on the clock it will clean up the insides and solves some problems like sticky valves. It is a very intensive engine cleaner and I have know MOT emissions failures to pass after a power boost spray treatment. (Power boost spray is available in our POTN shop see link at the top or click here http://www.torquecars.com/shop/ - our small commission helps us keep the site running :)!)

I've never tried it on a diesel. It makes a foam which gets pulled into the engine via the air intake so I wouldn't have thought you need much air flow. Like many products It may just not be suitable for diesels.

I have heard of it being used with diesel engines before, apparently with good results. The fact that it makes a foam suggests that airflow will be enough to get the stuff into the engine.

Shall I buy some and have a go?