DVD Player

Pixel

Road Burner
Car
Ford Fiesta Zetec-S
I just bought a DVD Player for my car but if the engine is running and the handbrake is down then it wont play, obviously a method to prevent the driver being distracted.

I don't find it distracting, I tend to listen to the film and the occasional glance when at traffic lights etc...

But its mostly for my passengers.

Ive found a loophole around it though, I put the handbrake on the lowest setting possible. I know this could be dangerous on some cars that have a short handbrake but mine has quite a bit of pull with it. Ive tested it out, the lowest setting doesn't seem to effect the car what so ever, its very weak.

So despite all that? Any comments?

the illumination at night can be distracting, if the cabin is lighter than the outside then you'll have trouble with interior reflects, same reason why you shouldnt have interior lights on.

many of us arent botherd about watching films but some do get distracted by them causing a general ban and need for safety.

altering the wiring can change all of the trouble you have.

Yeah I agree.

*#*#*#*# 'em, ill just leave the handbrake on the lowest setting, to be honest the handbrake on that level is basically non-existent. I tested its strength by letting the car roll down a hill at the slowest speed possible, i got it going at literaly 0.5 mph and the handbrake on the lowest setting couldn't hold it.

find the relay thats adjoined to your handbrake warning system, cut it, fuse and resist it, job done.

player thinks handbrake is on all the time, put a switch in for when you are pulled.

i had the same problem with my tv i could have a film playing through the PS2 and audio coming out throught the cd player
but when the handbrake came off the monitor would go off

bit of a pain when the original idea was to use it as a revesing cam

if you remove it you should find 4 wires going by mine (sitting beside me as anit got a faica for the bora yet )
1. red premermant ?? live (batt)
2. yellow ignition
3. black earth
4. green Handbrake

what i did was cut though the earth and handbrake wires and used a terminal block to connect them both. then connected them both to earth found out that this is illigal though and will fail a MOT. my tester couldnt have known as he passed it 3 times an option would be to put a switch on the handbrake cable and earth both cables

hope this helps

see the warning light on the dash would do ma head in
if u can lift up the console around the handbrake you might find the wire there just diconnect it and fix it to a nearby bolt

Maybe yeah, I sometimes notice the light but not all the time and even when I do, its not annoying. Which is suprising as things that like usually do annoy me.

Ive been pulled before whilst the screen is showing a DVD, he pulled me for my fog lights, as soon as I saw those bright blue lights, I pushed the "close" button and pulled in, the screen was down in seconds, ages before he got to my car for a nice chat :p lol

Not sure that in car fitments can be used a legitimate reasons to stop you at the road side. Always ask the Police Officer why they have stopped you.

They will ask you the same question. Usually phrased along these lines;-

"Do you know why I've stopped you?"

Answer: "No."

"Do you know the speed at which you were travelling?"

"Yes, Officer."

"And you speed was?"...

"No comment Officer, the Police and Criminal Evidence Act does not require me to provide such information."

"May I examine your vehicle?"

"No, Officer, you may not."

"Why not?"

"You have no reason to believe I have commited a crime. Furthermore, I believe that you have no evidence available that suggests I might have commited a crime or evidence to suggest that I might duly commit a criminal act."

Don't give in, ever. I got away with 122mph some time back by just admitting to nothing.

Even politely request that they refrain from kicking your tyres and that if they don't refrain from doing so you will bring a private prosecution case to court for criminal damage against the Police Force in your area.

Don't worry, Iv'e secretly replaced my rubber tires with concrete ones, so if he goes to kick it hell get a nasty surprise...

As long as they have the statutory E markings on the sidewalls then you'll be fine. After all, your average Astra beat car driving cop can't read anyway

thats not nice the police have to pend weeks at traing camps learning to write there name down in BIG crayons before they get to go out and beat peole over the head park in disabled spaces take bribes woops dint mean to say that 1

pgarner said:
thats not nice the police have to pend weeks at traing camps learning to write there name down in BIG crayons before they get to go out and beat peole over the head park in disabled spaces take bribes woops dint mean to say that 1

A bit harsh, maybe, but only so slightly maybe.

I know a couple of currently working traffic officers. They're good quality gentlemen and really do not have a problem with people making brisk progress in good conditions.

Unmarked traffic cars (not always Omegas now!) and the drivers thereof are totally disinterested in anything below about 95mph on a clear motorway. How many have you or I passed?

Worrying in one breath, comforting in another.

most unmarked cars around here are mercs and beemers but theve bout a volvo couple of weeks ago but theres only about 5 or 6 in the area so most people notice them

yeah a will agree a used to live next to a traffic cop and he was alright but tht would be the exception to the rule here

an example would be i travel to another town to help out a youth orgnistion bout 12 miles away and a nice road they pulled me a couple of weeks ago for crossing the white line in the middle of the road as i went round a chicane i could c bout mile in front of me as the corners arent relly there
i ws also pulled for going round a roundabout too fast the roundabout in question is a weird 1 it sits off to the side of the road more like 2 give ways and mian road but without hte markings . i was coming down the road and turned left to go up the other road ( not crossing in anyones pass as my side of the road ) was stopped held for bout 10 mins while they did checks on me the car breathilised (now gets done no matter what youve been stopped for, i think this is a good idea atleast) then was told that i should be trvelling more slowly t roundbout i was only doing 20mph the boys racers round here do it more than twice that speed but the dont stop them.

ive had the finger wagged at me for passing on chevered lines i was sitting behind the police car that was doing it thou. no lights therefore no emergancy that would be them breaking the law as well

Police only stop the people they want 10 mins after they stopped me for the roundabout they stopped another car speeding the guy ( i used to work with and still drink with. he admitted to me that he was doing 45mph in a 30 ) got out of his car wearing the fire tshirts and was told to slow done in future

point is round here the police only stop who they want rather than getting people for major crimes like drink driving, There never outside the pub at closing when every body jumps in the car to head up town, theyed rather stop boy racers speeding up a piece of duel carrageway which is nearly always diserted resson being the m ways right beside it

Rant over

thank you

p.s sorry my a botton isnt working properly