Driving at low revs

drpep999

Car
E36 328i Touringj
I would like to get a consensus from all the knowledgeable people out there about accelerating from low revs.

I've recently changed from and E46 320d to an E36 328i (my 4th E36, and 3rd 328). Now, in the diesel, it was very obvious when the engine was labouring because you could hear it and therefore I stayed out of that rev range generally. With the petrol however, it is so smooth and quiet, I can accelerate, not hard mind, but quite easily from about 1100-1200 revs, with no fuss, or shaking, or apparent labouring.

We all know that its best to drive in the mid range where combustion is more efficient, but is accelerating from low revs like this likely to do any harm over time. The engine just doesn't seem to mind. I hasten to add, I am quite precise with my throttle inputs, so if I do every accelerate from low revs, it is not with very much throttle.

What are your thoughts please?

I prefer to keep the revs above 2000in a petrol motor for better response (and drop down a gear if needed) but if you must accelerate from lower revs in a high gear then an educated right foot is needed to prevent the motor from lugging with low oil pressure/flow to the bearings.

Wow! That i actually had in my mind that would technically be the correct thing to do in this area and i believe this would work with it.
Appreciate you guys for really helping the members.

There is nothing to be gained by using low revs. Fuel economy is worse than it is the peak power band. Vibrations are the big problem here as well for the engine and drivetrain. Petrol engines are more flexible but I'd still recommend using the right gear.