Drivers going rusty

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Is it possible for a driver to go a bit rusty and for his driving ability to decline?

Does this happen over a period of time or can it happen to low milage drivers?

I'm asking this because a report I read implied that drivers who had been away from the car for 3 months or more were 50% more likely to have an accident.

I think this is a bit too much of a generalisation and would suggest that these drivers were Ill, had injuries or other problems that contribute to an impaired driving ability.

What are your thoughts? Is driving a car like riding a bike, once learned you never forget or is there more to it than that:D?

Very interesting subject, I am 72 now, and I find that I won't trust myself to go fast on a motorcycle- in town driving- these days, car driving is fine, actually, due more to the constant attention required to drive on our roads,there is no time for getting rusty, but yes, I agree that if one -especially an older person like me- does not drive often, then definitely I would be a hazard on our roads.
Are there any oldies like me on the forum who have their views on this?

I took time out from driving a few years ago and when I did get back in a car it was like i'd never been away. But I guess it's down to the individual.

i think the issue is that people forget about the limitations.

i always find when am back in the UK takes about a day to realise the the speedo is in mph and not kmh - this can always be a bit exciting when braking etc... If i get done for speeding this is my first defence tactic!

"Hope this isn't patronising, but it's awesome that you can use the internet!"

Not at all, been using the 'net for 10 years now, still quite ignorant of a great many of its features though-a case of not being able to teach an old dog new tricks!

I think we all have to accept that as we get older our reactions and motor skills will become more limited. Perhaps that knowledge will allow us to cut older drivers a little slack.

I still think there are many drivers on the road who shouldn't be.

Hope this isn't patronising, but it's awesome that you can use the internet!
He is just a youngster;)

IMO if you only drive to the shops or church and only close to home then older drivers can become nervous and hesitant on the roads when they get out side their comfort zone.
I try to drive in all areas and types of roads as well as do app15-20000 klm per year as well as track days to keep my skills up .

Last edited:
Was at the track a couple of days ago and it's amazing how when you are concentrating how one forgets how old on is when flying along at close to 190k's( only had a quick peep once ) and having to slow to app 140 for turn 1 but tring to brake as hard and as late as possible and still make the turn and not end up in the kitty litter/sand trap.

Guess many might say the silly old codger like me should be playing bowls or bingo but I think that that would bore me to death so I intend to keep tracking and competing in my car as long as I can

Track driving differs immensely from road driving. The levels of attention required (to do either properly, enjoyably and safely) are not dissimilar but are totally different sets of skills.

Track driving differs immensely from road driving. The levels of attention required (to do either properly, enjoyably and safely) are not dissimilar but are totally different sets of skills.

Agreed, but I use track days to find/explore the car and drivers limits in a safe enviroment where everybody is going the same way and also to see if my reactions and feel for what the car is doing when pushed hard are still ok.

Thing is that razor sharp track skills aren't absolutely essential for safe and swift road driving. I am fearful of training some people (those with attitude problems) to such a technical level that they try to exploit the limits on the road as well as on the track. A modern car, with quality tyres (not budget rubbish) and all suspension correctly set up and aligned has astonishing levels of roadholding. There's no reason to approach those limits on the road.

At my age I don't think I have "razor sharp skills" but IMO practice in any sport is helpful in keeping the particular level of expertese that one has as high as possible .

If you don't use it you loose it

At my age I don't think I have "razor sharp skills" but IMO practice in any sport is helpful in keeping the particular level of expertese that one has as high as possible .

If you don't use it you loose it

Once again TCJBOLDIE is unable to split road driving from track driving. TCJBOLDIE uses the word 'SPORT'. How does 'sport' relate even remotely to road driving?

I'm getting tired of this. Had my fill of you matey

Track driving still requires one to look far ahead, concentrate on the job at hand and to be able to brake hard without lock up IMO skills that transfer to normal road driving one more so than the other as IF one is concentrating and reading the road/traffic then one shouldn't have to brake hard to the point of locked wheels OR the ABS kicking in.

Granted track driving does not replicate daily driving as there are no intersections ,pedestrians ,oncoming traffic etc etc BUT I fail to see exactly where you seem to think that I have advocated that ?-/

I used the word "SPORT" in the context that whatever pastime/job/trade one does in life practice along with guidance/coaching by qualified people generally helps to improve ones performance/results/skill level.

But IF as you say "had my fill of you " then don't trouble yourself repling :confused:

PS I have no problems with your opinions re my posts but please keep an open mind and NOT read between the lines as I try to express my thoughts/opinions as clearely as I am able and some may agree with them and others not.

PPS NOT tring to starting a war But merely calling things as I see them

Last edited:
Someone once said to me Quote " it's not what you are saying but what that person is hearing "Unquote
SO as I have said try not to twist my words or put a different spin on them please.
HDI welcome back I'm sure you will keep me on my toes |B I'm :cool: ;)

And I trust you'll do the same to me :)

I am at risk of sounding like I disapprove of track training. I don't. I am merely concerned that some (by no means all) less experienced road drivers will focus upon handling and control skills over and above observation, anticipation, perception and planning skills.

That's why I keep bashing on about attitude being the single biggest factor influencing safety/risk.

Maybe that's what makes a great racing driver: they will take risks on the track that I would never ever have the courage to take, regardless of my skill or relative lack of it :)

Then again, Lewis Hamilton was fined in Australia during 2010 for driving stupidly on the road. Takes all sort I suppose.......

Last edited:
HDI I'm sure we can agree to disagree at times and hopefully still see/respect the others point of view as we both can have strong views/opinions about various subjects on the forums. :cool: :)

I try to use plain English with no hidden meanings to explain my point of view etc.

I completely agree with you regarding "attitude" as having the right attitude is one of the most important things any good safe driver can have along with the other ones you named as being extremely important if one is to survive on the roads today .

I enter club motorsport events to compete /push myself in a safe legal place especially track days to drive/explore the limits of adhesion as well as my own limits. I am by no means anywhere as skilled/good/fast as I would like to be and am always happy to be advised or instructed by pros and have booked an instructor for 1 on 1 training the next track day.

Lewis acted like a dickhead and deserved to get fined for his antics on a public road.\B

driving is like anything else once you have leaerned how to do it you will always know how to do it

but...................

The abiltity to concertrate , physical prowess. the reaction time - these do get worse with age no question. Of course us older folks will say experience offsets that and it does to an extent but the fact that there are no F1 champioms over 40 proves us wrong.

As said in another thread practice also helps to a huge extent so if you stop mdoing anything you will get worse at it .Of course you probably wont think that .Yes Im afraid we are back again to the ego thing.

Bottom line most abilities do decline with age .
This applies to most things in life so driving wont be any different. So as long as peole drive within their limit things should be ok ..... Problem is when because people cant actually see as far/good their reactions must slow and of course their ability to anticipate does the same.
Then experience doesnt help you much

This year because I had managed to survive somehow to the ripe old age of 75 I had to obtain a doctors certificate as well as an optomortist ? report to renew my licence for 12 months and have to do so every birthday .
Eyesight is 20/20 |B:)