Driverless cars have hidden pitfalls, and it's the human element!

It's always the human isn't it. I wouldn't trust a car completely ever!

Assisted driving is a good thing but what happens when these people get into a normal non assisted car? Are they more careful or have they become complacent, forgetting the essential road skills they need to safely drive?

I'll stick to a fully manual car thank you! Paddle shifts are something I'll consider but having been in an Auto cruise there is just not the intelligence and anticipation there even a relatively new driver will provide.

I can see it happening but I am not sure if it is for me. Prefer to make my own judgements behind the wheel.

they showed a new offering -a completely driverless car that can slow down and stop whenever something was infront.

Sounds impressive ?

not so much really if you put a dustbin in the road in the way it just stops and stays there untill the dustbin is moved

not so much really if you put a dustbin in the road in the way it just stops and stays there untill the dustbin is moved
I saw that on BBC breakfast, and the rest of the conversation carried on with the chap stating the tech is still in its infancy and once progressed it will be able to navigate around stationary objects.

Yes, it sounds impressive.

Auto cruise control is getting better but is still way off. A driver follows the traffic flow, cruise control just monitors the car in front.

How many years will it be before completely autonomous cars are effective at replacing drivers?